Gay and obese URM???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If he's as attractive in real life as his CV is, then yes, I do dig him. 😉 (So kidding.)

His CV is not only attractive; it's tastefully scented.

I reckon most of us here on SDN have a thing for nerds. Just own it. 🙂

What was this thread about again??
 
I can't believe this was a serious question.

Why is that? Homosexuals and other members of the LGBT community are certainly minorities in many ways (including in the most basic way--numerically), as are obese people (for now). Both, I dare say, are underrepresented in medicine. Therefore both are, by definition, under-represented minorities. The real question that we're trying to address here is if admissions committees think they should work to ensure these particular minorities (there are so many others) have a place in medical schools and in the field of medicine.
 
Why is that? Homosexuals and other members of the LGBT community are certainly minorities in many ways (including in the most basic way--numerically), as are obese people (for now). Both, I dare say, are underrepresented in medicine. Therefore both are, by definition, under-represented minorities. The real question that we're trying to address here is if admissions committees think they should work to ensure these particular minorities (there are so many others) have a place in medical schools and in the field of medicine.

But are they under-represented in medicine?
 
Under-represented = fewer in medicine than in the general population. This is unquestionably true for obesity, but it's also true for quadriplegics.

I know several out doctors. Not so many as might be expected, but I'm sure there are also closeted doctors a-plenty to close the gap. This is where it becomes difficult to estimate the %gay in any group...
 
Yes they are technically Under-Represented, but I get the feeling that OP is viewing this case of URM as an advantage or a way to get ahead somehow.

I mean hell, you could say that physicians or applicants that can juggle knives on a unicycle are an under represented minority, but how does that help them or anyone
 
Why is that? Homosexuals and other members of the LGBT community are certainly minorities in many ways (including in the most basic way--numerically), as are obese people (for now). Both, I dare say, are underrepresented in medicine. Therefore both are, by definition, under-represented minorities. The real question that we're trying to address here is if admissions committees think they should work to ensure these particular minorities (there are so many others) have a place in medical schools and in the field of medicine.

Hot women are in the minorities. They are definitely underrepresented in medicine. Therefore, they are underrepresented minorities.

I think the admissions committees should ensure that more hot women, regardless of stats, should have a place in medical school.
 
Hot women are in the minorities. They are definitely underrepresented in medicine. Therefore, they are underrepresented minorities.

I think the admissions committees should ensure that more hot women, regardless of stats, should have a place in medical school.
I wouldn't mind going to a school that took this approach, hahaha.

And I don't know about gay, but being obese is a lifestyle choice which I consider immoral.
 
Hot women are in the minorities. They are definitely underrepresented in medicine. Therefore, they are underrepresented minorities.

I think the admissions committees should ensure that more hot women, regardless of stats, should have a place in medical school.

👍👍 Even after the "weedout" courses, the amount of attractive woman takes a beating. I personally think that the only logical conclusion is discrimination, stemming from a culture that traditionally left them out. This institutional culture is preventing their access to the healthcare profession (typical sociology bs explanation). The answer is always discrimination and not their lack of effort/abilities.
 
Last edited:
The real question that we're trying to address here is if admissions committees think they should work to ensure these particular minorities (there are so many others) have a place in medical schools and in the field of medicine.

At the very least, we know it didn't hurt. At the very most, I got into med school because I'm gay and hot.
 
Last edited:
:laugh:

It's only a matter of time before people list "Being gay" as its individual activity lol.

Experience Type: Extracurricular/Hobbies/Avocations
Experience Name: Gay (and hot)
Most Meaningful Experience: Yes
Dates: January 2012 - Until Present
Hours Per Week: 4

are you straight or ugly the other 164 hours of each week 😕
 
Under-represented in medicine status refers to groups that have historically been limited by institutional racism in their pursuit of medicine. While I think that members of the LBGT community should be included in this since they also have been discriminated against and limited in their pursuit, it is still entangled in politics and whatnot so its not happening anytime soon. Other groups may be 'minorities' in the US but that doesn't mean the group historically has or faces institutional discrimination because of the way they born. Moreover, as the largest minority groups in the US, it makes sense to have some representation in medicine.
 
Under-represented in medicine status refers to groups that have historically been limited by institutional racism in their pursuit of medicine. While I think that members of the LBGT community should be included in this since they also have been discriminated against and limited in their pursuit, it is still entangled in politics and whatnot so its not happening anytime soon. Other groups may be 'minorities' in the US but that doesn't mean the group historically has or faces institutional discrimination because of the way they born. Moreover, as the largest minority groups in the US, it makes sense to have some representation in medicine.

People choose to get obese and there is no consensus on homosexuality as a choice so this whole "we are born different" argument is pretty weak for making gay and obese an underrepresented minority.

Now, hot girls on the other hand WERE born that way and they are definitely discriminated against because when I see a hot girl, I don't think "future physician"...I think "future baby momma"....yep, blame the society for discriminating against hot, sexy women...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad