Gay-Friendly Schools and/or States

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
GoodDoctor said:
All the votes for Philly make me positive I'm applying there. I guess it really is the city of brotherly love. :laugh:

Yup, and sisterly love.... :p

We have some admin trying to figure out how to recruit gay applicants, so mention of your orientation, while not actively solicited, would be quite welcome at Penn, indeed. C'mon down, I bet you'll love Philly as much as my gay friends and classmates do!

Part of the reason I love Philly and Penn is because of the diversity of ethnicities and beliefs that I think will help make us excellent physicians, so keep it coming! :cool:

Members don't see this ad.

to the OP, so when you say we have a 18% acceptance rate do you mean people from your state or gay people?

duckhunter25 said:
to the OP, so when you say we have a 18% acceptance rate do you mean people from your state or gay people?
Applicants from my school. A few schools have grown to like our applicants (or maybe they're just easier schools with high enrollment). OSU, SLU, MCW all send thier dean of admissions to our school during the year. SLU even comes to Salt Lake City for regional interviews (which will save me a few hundred bucks if I get an interview). We do well at GWU as well, but then I think everyone else might too. The buzz is that they like us because we ALL have solid ECs and LORs because the UofU requirements are (outside of MCAT) are so specific. I'll look up the exact numbers if you really want 'em.

Members don't see this ad :)
so, here's a response I gave a student who e-mailed me both about the gay envt at med school in general and at my own school in particular (harvard):

So, in all honesty, I feel as though issues of sexuality really tend to get swept under the rug during medical school (and likely in graduate school in general) for a variety of reasons: too many other issues to worry about (academic, personal, professional or otherwise), lack of interest amongst other students (though I honestly feel this not to be the case -- many of our classmates seem very open to discussing LGBT issues given the proper forum/outlet), and a perceived heteronormativity/patriarchality of professors/administrators/students/general atmosphere (though I believe the first to include many notable exceptions). However, while I did find many of the things mentioned above to be true -- medical school can most certainly be an open and welcoming environment given the appropriate attitude/approach. While I could definitely envision greater difficulties for those entering medical school without a clear understanding of oneself (read: one's sexuality), I would say that for those for whom these issues are (at least for the most part) resolved within one's own mind and heart, medical school and its affect on you as an individual in that realm will be trivial at best. (if you fall into the former category, however, there are definitely resources out there for you, though they may not be entirely obvious..)

In terms of the community, I think that it definitely doesn't help that the Longwood campus is so isolated from the other Harvard campuses -- this mere geographical barrier makes meetings, talks, social outings more difficult than you might expect. With that said, I think that there is most certainly an LGBT community here at the smaller Longwood campus as well -- there is a larger group composed of students from the medical, dental, public health school along with professors and students of the graduate school known as the 'kinsey caucus' that has meetings and social outings from time to time. And as a class, I think that the LGBT students are a rather tight knit bunch (with of course a few notable exceptions), though of course that varies year to year depending on our numbers and the personalities involved. As far as meeting other LGBT students at different schools -- I think that I would know a bit less about that, though, for instance, Club Cafe (one of the few entirely gay clubs in Boston) does have a graduate student night once a month that you can check out to meet other queer students in the area. With that said, the gay night life in Boston is rather bleak -- few clubs and the ones that are out there are mainly hip hop/gay pop dance clubs with very few chill gay bars or other places for the non-clubgoing/pillpopping gays. But honestly, there are places to go in Boston especially in the South end, but I'm probably not the person to ask about that...

Hope that helps!

Matt

GoodDoc,

I definitely understand your concern and your desire to find a place where you can be yourself. That said (and please don't get mad), I think you are worrying a bit too much about this issue. 95% of people in med school just settle in, find a group of friends, and start pushing through their studies.

I think your experiences vis a vis your sexual orientation are going to depend alot more on the people who happen to be in your class (and I can tell you classes vary ALOT from year to year) and the attendings/residents you happen to to placed with as an M3/M4. Even at "gay friendly" schools you are probably going to have your fair share of bigots and *****s around you.

As you get further along in med school I think it becomes important to become less vocal about your beliefs and orientation. Why? Because you owe it to your patients to be professional and you owe it to your colleagues to be a doctor first. This doesn't mean you crawl into a hole, it means that you prioritize the study of a profession over the advancement of your personal beliefs.

Don't make the mistake of crossing good schools off of your list b/c you hear on internet forums that they are not "gay-friendly." I go to a school that most people think is pretty conservative and I will tell you that the student body leans very far to the left.

I guess my other question is, "where does this end?" Will you be trying to figure out which specialties are "gay friendly?" Will you then be discerning which residency programs are "gay friendly?" I'm not being flippant or trying to be a troll, just trying to make the point that there are MUCH more important factors in selecting a med school.

Good luck.

I don't have much experience with which med schools are gay friendly, but I can tell you that U Michigan is very hostile towards gays, at least from my personal experience.

I am gay, and my ex-boyfriend went to U Michigan Medical School and at the time right after we dated (we were still friends), I was interested in inquiring more about the medical school. My boyfriend was not "out of the closet" at Michigan for a variety of reasons, including the fact he wasn't ready and felt Michigan was not totally friendly about issues of sexual orientation. Of course, when I contacted these people at Michigan, I didn't realize he hadn't told people there....

Anyway, I ended up emailing some random students in his med class to get THEIR perspectives on the school because I wanted more than simply one perspective on Michigan as an academic-research med school. In the course of my conversations with some of the Michigan med students, I mentioned my ex-boyfriend went to Michigan.

In the course of my correspondence with 3 students on the Admissions Committee, one girl, a graduate of Stanford University (a supposedly liberal place??) said: "I ask you to consider withholding this information [his sexuality] in any future conversations with people associated with the University of Michigan Medical School." She said that because my boyfriend had not told her that he was gay (he was "playing it straight"), that clearly, I was on a mission to "out" him to the entire Michigan faculty and students and that she thought it was "highly inappropriate" for me even to broach the issue of sexual orientation with her or anyone else at Michigan since she presumed no one at Michigan knew he was gay. I found this exchange to be extremely troubling for a variety of reasons including the fact that this girl wanted to suppress knowledge of other peoples' sexual orientations. It was almost as if she wanted to brush these "unsavory" issues under the rug. Now, this could be an isolated example, but from what my ex said, Michigan wasn't exactly that open. At minimum, it showed me the arrogance of one student who presumed that she all the answers. While Ann Arbor might be gay friendly, it definitely isn't Columbia or Brown.

I graduated from an extremely liberal Ivy League university in New England and found the latent homophobia at Michigan disturbing on many levels. Gay-friendly schools tend to be located in the northeast or near LA, tend to be private (not public), and tend to have a history of liberal thought and philosophy. The ivies in order of liberalness:

1.) Brown University
2.) Columbia University
3.) Yale University
4.) Harvard University
5.) University of Pennsylvania
6.) Cornell University
7.) Princeton University (thank god no med school)
8.) Dartmouth College

As a result, I'd never apply to Michigan.

GoodDoctor said:
I'm more interested in a place where I don't have to hide being gay around my colleagues and neighbors. I wonder if this might be unrealistic anywhere. I’ve heard that it can be more difficult for openly gay med students to get a Pediatrician residency, for example. I can continue to avoid talking about my family life and omitting pronouns from conversations if I have to. If I only get accepted here in UT, that’s what I’ll be doing anyway.

That rumor about the southeast is only half-way true. Any NC school gives you a great chance to go to Asheville (extremely tolerant city west of Charlotte). Any GA schools means you can probably live in ATL. Any Florida school, especially Miami U.

Avoid SC, MS, and AL. Those states are still extremely anti-gay rights.

appleluver7 said:
It was almost as if she wanted to brush these "unsavory" issues under the rug.

Or MAYBE she really DID think it was inappropriate that you were the one dishing on your ex and that if he wanted her to know, he would've told her himself.

I have a lot of respect for that girl. She could just have easily taken that info and gone to gossip about it. Sounds to me like she was looking out for his interests, instead.

Dude - chill. There are always going to be individuals with opinions. Just read some of the threads on this site that get bumped to the Lounge.
I am at Michigan - I have 8 students working for me. They come in all shapes, sizes, etc.
When I interview, I can ask about a significant other - but never orientation, race, religion, etc.

It is what it is. I think you may have had an unfortunate person, but then again - welcome to America.
And, that person on the admissions committee gave you some good advice. If you want to discuss your own orientation - then go for it. But it is not your place to relinquish another persons anonymity, whether race, religion, sexual orientation or whatever.
I would have given you the same advice. It would be no different if you were a girl, and you were talking about your ex-boyfriend who happened to be a neo-Nazi. If he wants to disclose, then it's his issue, but not yours; especially in regards to the work place.

Hope that helps. Michigan is liberal and in fact - on their site had a rainbow banner in support of freedom for orientation. How you like them apples.?

appleluver7 said:
I don't have much experience with which med schools are gay friendly, but I can tell you that U Michigan is very hostile towards gays, at least from my personal experience.

I am gay, and my ex-boyfriend went to U Michigan Medical School and at the time right after we dated (we were still friends), I was interested in inquiring more about the medical school. My boyfriend was not "out of the closet" at Michigan for a variety of reasons, including the fact he wasn't ready and felt Michigan was not totally friendly about issues of sexual orientation. Of course, when I contacted these people at Michigan, I didn't realize he hadn't told people there....

Anyway, I ended up emailing some random students in his med class to get THEIR perspectives on the school because I wanted more than simply one perspective on Michigan as an academic-research med school. In the course of my conversations with some of the Michigan med students, I mentioned my ex-boyfriend went to Michigan.

In the course of my correspondence with 3 students on the Admissions Committee, one girl, a graduate of Stanford University (a supposedly liberal place??) said: "I ask you to consider withholding this information [his sexuality] in any future conversations with people associated with the University of Michigan Medical School." She said that because my boyfriend had not told her that he was gay (he was "playing it straight"), that clearly, I was on a mission to "out" him to the entire Michigan faculty and students and that she thought it was "highly inappropriate" for me even to broach the issue of sexual orientation with her or anyone else at Michigan since she presumed no one at Michigan knew he was gay. I found this exchange to be extremely troubling for a variety of reasons including the fact that this girl wanted to suppress knowledge of other peoples' sexual orientations. It was almost as if she wanted to brush these "unsavory" issues under the rug. Now, this could be an isolated example, but from what my ex said, Michigan wasn't exactly that open. At minimum, it showed me the arrogance of one student who presumed that she all the answers. While Ann Arbor might be gay friendly, it definitely isn't Columbia or Brown.

I graduated from an extremely liberal Ivy League university in New England and found the latent homophobia at Michigan disturbing on many levels. Gay-friendly schools tend to be located in the northeast or near LA, tend to be private (not public), and tend to have a history of liberal thought and philosophy. The ivies in order of liberalness:

1.) Brown University
2.) Columbia University
3.) Yale University
4.) Harvard University
5.) University of Pennsylvania
6.) Cornell University
7.) Princeton University (thank god no med school)
8.) Dartmouth College

As a result, I'd never apply to Michigan.

BuckerPark said:
Or MAYBE she really DID think it was inappropriate that you were the one dishing on your ex and that if he wanted her to know, he would've told her himself.

I have a lot of respect for that girl. She could just have easily taken that info and gone to gossip about it. Sounds to me like she was looking out for his interests, instead.

No, that's only what someone in a heteronormative society might say.

The issue wasn't whether I mentioned I had a boyfriend or not—the issue was the way in which she responded to that information. There was no reason she should have responded aggressively to what I had said. There was no malice in my saying anything to her about him. In fact, just the opposite. My ex and I had been on great terms when this occurred, and it clearly wasn't a ploy for me to out him. If I wanted to out him, I would have sent a bulk email to all the faculty and staff at Michigan under an anonymous email address and said that he was gay. But I didn't do that.

A large part of the reason I even mentioned to her that he was my ex was because if I ended up interviewing at Michigan, I didn't want to have the unfortunate event of having me be assigned to him as an interviewer because it would be a major COI. He was on the interviewing Admissions Committee at Michigan, and so there was a veritable possibility that I might get him as an interviewer if I interviewed there.

Also, for her to assume that I was outing him was premature, because she didn't know him well, and as I said, he could have easily told anyone else at the school he was gay. The point is that she felt very uncomfortable with hearing that he had had a boyfriend, something that in and of itself is highly disturbing. You are wrong.

Finally, it was none of her business whether he had told 10 people at Michigan he was gay or zero. She didn't know him well and shouldn't have been making baseless accusations to prospective students she didn't even know about fellow classmates she hardly knew better.

newyorkcougar said:
If you are interested in applying osteo, PCOM is super gay friendly, as is Philadelphia in general. I have had a great time here! There are gay faculty (the most popular teacher here is gay), a gay student organization, and CUTE guys you get to do OMM on!

We are super gay-friendly at NSU-COM also (come on, it's Fort Lauderdale! The entire town's gay!). Lots of gay students and faculty, and the rest of the school and community is very open and accepting.

Having attended both the GLMA and AMSA conferences, I will tell you I have met gay med students from all over--from very gay schools like UCSF and RWJ to the ultra-conservative University of Alabama. I don't think there are any schools you need to AVOID given your sexual orientation (except maybe Loma Linda). Most other schools acceptance of gays tends to be in line with the type of community the school is in (i.e. watch out for the red states). Numbers of gay med students at a given school seems to flucutate greatly from year to year, even at some of the more popular schools for gays.

Definitely check out www.amsa.org/advocacy/lgbtpm and click on "National Chapter Network." You can look at each school and get an idea of what the gay scene is like at each. Any questions feel free to PM me!

Jocomama said:
Dude - chill. There are always going to be individuals with opinions. Just read some of the threads on this site that get bumped to the Lounge.
I am at Michigan - I have 8 students working for me. They come in all shapes, sizes, etc.
When I interview, I can ask about a significant other - but never orientation, race, religion, etc.

It is what it is. I think you may have had an unfortunate person, but then again - welcome to America.
And, that person on the admissions committee gave you some good advice. If you want to discuss your own orientation - then go for it. But it is not your place to relinquish another persons anonymity, whether race, religion, sexual orientation or whatever.
I would have given you the same advice. It would be no different if you were a girl, and you were talking about your ex-boyfriend who happened to be a neo-Nazi. If he wants to disclose, then it's his issue, but not yours; especially in regards to the work place.

Hope that helps. Michigan is liberal and in fact - on their site had a rainbow banner in support of freedom for orientation. How you like them apples.?

"If you want to discuss your own orientation - then go for it. But it is not your place to relinquish another persons anonymity, whether race, religion, sexual orientation or whatever.
I would have given you the same advice. It would be no different if you were a girl, and you were talking about your ex-boyfriend who happened to be a neo-Nazi. If he wants to disclose, then it's his issue, but not yours; especially in regards to the work place."

Hmm, that's an interesting but false analogy, man. I don't really understand what you mean by "It's not your place to relinquish another persons anonymity, whether race, religion, sexual orientation, or whatever". So you are saying that in the course of an email to the Michigan girl, since my ex-boyfriend happened to be mexican that it would NOT be okay to mention in passing that I have a mexican friend (not sig other) who goes to Michigan? Because after all, my mexican friend might not want me to reveal that he is mexican? That seems a bit of a stretch, don't ya think? Where does it end then by that logic? What is permissible to mention in passing in a conversational style email and what's "off limits"? I suppose if he doesn't really look mexican, but then I mention to her that he is (because I'm interested in getting involved with the latino group at Michigan), that I would be violating his privacy (because after all, he might not want to be labelled a mexican!!). Again, I see a specific type of stigma associated with mentioning someone's sexuality in conversational passing, while I don't see that stigma associated with race—which by the way, can seem just as murky and indeterminate as someone's presumed sexual orientation (a lot of Mexican people don't "look" mexican yet are and may or may not feel secure about identifying that way)....It's clear you are trying to save face and split hairs.

Bottom line: Because I possessed more information that she did about my ex, both his interests and requests, I would be in a more powerful position to know what he thought was both appropriate and inappropriate, and for her to make baseless assumptions is more inappropriate than my actions.

Oh, I also love your comparison to a neo-Nazi. LOL. I'd say being gay is a tad bit different than being a neo-Nazi...another reason Michigan and Ann Arbor weren't for me. You can be sure I'll tell any future peeps I see to avoid Michigan like the plague. I'm heading to the Yale School of Medicine, and honestly, I haven't found anyone to be an dingus there in regards to this issue. Just the opposite really. Although Michigan might not be conservative, please don't pretend it's a really liberal place with a lot of activism, because that really isn't believable.

GoodDoctor said:
That sounds like a great way to word it. I've volunteered at the local GLBT center and at the AIDS foundation. I plan to talk about these, but I'm 99.999% positive I won't mention I'm gay at my state school (maybe if I somehow find out my interviewer is gay). For other schools, like UCSF, I think I may consider it, but still don't know.

I'm actually quite proud that what I'm doing can have a positive effect on gay folk struggling with their place in life. I think, too, that being in a position that garners instant respect can make some small difference in lowering negative stereotypes about gay folk out in the straight world.

I'm still reading through the thread but I thought I'd respond to this one with a little story about UCSF:

My first interviewer there was an older man, European (at the end of the interview I asked him where his very cool accent came from; he's Swiss). We talked about the normal interview stuff, and a lot about the arts scene, movies, etc. Then, he asked me why I wanted to move to SF. At this point we had a great rapport, so I told him all the reasons and mentioned that I wanted to live somewhere with liberal attitudes and open-minded people (I'm an avid straight ally, and I'd hate to live somewhere where people couldn't be open).

Here's the good part: he told me a story about a guy he interviewed who asked HIM (the interviewer) if it bothered him that there were "fags all over the place" in San Francisco. I was obviously shocked, and said something like "who does that?" and the interviewer said something like, "Needless to say, he was not admitted to UCSF." I could tell he relished the day when he got to put that guy down in front of the rest of the adcom.

So, obviously SF is very open to all walks of life, and UCSF is too. I know it's a crapshoot (was for me too) but you should definitely apply there.

Good luck! :luck: :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
You really lost me with the Mexican example. Take a step back and look at what you wrote:

appleluver7 said:
My boyfriend was not "out of the closet" at Michigan for a variety of reasons, including the fact he wasn't ready and felt Michigan was not totally friendly about issues of sexual orientation

Yet you went and told somebody anyway, huh? If he didn't feel comfortable telling people, what right did you have to out him to anybody? That is why I suspect you got the reaction you did.

I'm only stating my opinion based on what you said and am not looking for a heated debate. I just feel like you are talking smack about this school simply because you had a bad e-mail experience with somebody there. Certainly not a legitimate reason to advise anybody to "avoid it like the plague".

browniegirl86 said:
I'm still reading through the thread but I thought I'd respond to this one with a little story about UCSF:

My first interviewer there was an older man, European (at the end of the interview I asked him where his very cool accent came from; he's Swiss). We talked about the normal interview stuff, and a lot about the arts scene, movies, etc. Then, he asked me why I wanted to move to SF. At this point we had a great rapport, so I told him all the reasons and mentioned that I wanted to live somewhere with liberal attitudes and open-minded people (I'm an avid straight ally, and I'd hate to live somewhere where people couldn't be open).

Here's the good part: he told me a story about a guy he interviewed who asked HIM (the interviewer) if it bothered him that there were "fags all over the place" in San Francisco. I was obviously shocked, and said something like "who does that?" and the interviewer said something like, "Needless to say, he was not admitted to UCSF." I could tell he relished the day when he got to put that guy down in front of the rest of the adcom.

So, obviously SF is very open to all walks of life, and UCSF is too. I know it's a crapshoot (was for me too) but you should definitely apply there.

Good luck! :luck: :thumbup:

gosh, everytime you post something about SF, you make my heart skip a beat. it's ok. 4 years and then residency at SF fo sho!

BuckerPark said:
You really lost me with the Mexican example. Take a step back and look at what you wrote:

Yet you went and told somebody anyway, huh? If he didn't feel comfortable telling people, what right did you have to out him to anybody? That is why I suspect you got the reaction you did.

I'm only stating my opinion based on what you said and am not looking for a heated debate. I just feel like you are talking smack about this school simply because you had a bad e-mail experience with somebody there. Certainly not a legitimate reason to advise anybody to "avoid it like the plague".

Take a step back; the context of the aforementioned quotation where I said that he didn't tell anyone about his sexual orientation was something that I did not initially know. We hadn't discussed the issue together until after this incident. Therefore, you are wrong in assuming that I tried to "out him". Please don't take my quotes out of context.

After the incident, he told me that Michigan was hostile toward gays, something I hadn't suspected. The girl was clearly a bitch. But I don't really give a flying f*ck, because I'll be at Yale, and she'll still be at Michigan, so I guess what goes around comes around :laugh:

I really think that most straight people, such as yourself (and correct me if I'm wrong but I assume you are straight), make a much bigger deal out of the dichotomy between straight and gay than most people in the gay community do in terms of "announcing" sexuality. Gay people often like to feel like a larger part of the community and like to avoid the term "coming out" because it signals the default, mainstream sexual orientation is hetero and that homosexual is a concerted separation, or rather announcement worth "calling out". From my perspective, I can say that most gay people don't think in these terms, and do not consider mentioning in passing that someone is gay to be a social faux pas. While gay people, including myself, cling strongly to issues of privacy, I can't say that it's that uncommon for a gay person to mention to ANYONE "hey this is/was my boyfriend". I guess because I don't think in gay-straight terms, I didn't feel bad about mentioning he was my boyfriend. Outing him was the last of my concerns, but clearly, as a minority, as was seen from this example, and the relative wrath I've received on this issue, that I should guard my sexual orientation--and more importantly that of any friends of mine--strongly and deeply.

Finally, you failed to miss a major point highlighting her own arrogance: what gave this girl the presumption to think that he hadn't come out to others? I think I know my ex just a bit more than her, and if anything she has a lot of balls to assume that he never "came out" to anyone. For all she knew, he could have told most of the school he was gay and she didn't know.

kirexhana said:
gosh, everytime you post something about SF, you make my heart skip a beat. it's ok. 4 years and then residency at SF fo sho!

Oh Rex, here's something to make you feel better:

I just cried for like an hour from the stress of worrying about finding a place to live there and moving. And because I'm a big baby who is afraid of change :rolleyes:

You know that mi casa es su casa anytime you're in the Bay Area, right? Although right now mi casa is a box in an alley behind UCSF . . . for $2000 a month. Without parking. At least it's pet-friendly ;)

kirexhana said:
Ya, me too. It's been my dream school since I was in High School. I actually shadowed there and got to meet some 3rd yr students. I hope I'm one of the lucky ones to get a secondary, since being able to talk about my experience there might give me a boost as an OOS.

browniegirl86 said:
Oh Rex, here's something to make you feel better:

I just cried for like an hour from the stress of worrying about finding a place to live there and moving. And because I'm a big baby who is afraid of change :rolleyes:

You know that mi casa es su casa anytime you're in the Bay Area, right? Although right now mi casa is a box in an alley behind UCSF . . . for $2000 a month. Without parking. At least it's pet-friendly ;)

ouch, well at least the worst part is over, yea?

my stress is move induced also, and slightly mother induced too. every other she brings me something else to bring over to durham, problem, is i don't know if i can fit everything. i wonder if they allow vacuum cleaners as carry ons....

haha, same casa thing applies to you if you care to visit the research triangle for anything.

and something LGBT about duke for the sake of not completely diverting this thread.. apparently, at orientation there's going to be a speaker from the LGBT center (along with women's center and student council) on the first day. it's kinda comforting when the school makes this small gesture of outreach, although i'm not sure how prevalent this is among med schools.

i know, small detail, but i thought it was important. :)

I would add Mt. Sinai in NYC to your list.
It is an extremely gay friendly school and very very supportive...I didn't find out about this until revisit weekend...Also, I don't think NYU is such a reach school for you...I got in with very similar stats...but still ended up choosing Sinai...Good luck this year. :)

ms1finally said:
With all due respect Flopotomist, you are overstating the circumstances and giving a false impression here. There was a serious conflict over said group during the 2004-2005 school year. However, the conflict was resolved and the group was allowed to form and receive school funding in the 2005-2006 school year. They held several very well-attended events that featured faculty members and outside educators/people as speakers.

One of my very good friends is an officer, and it seems that the group of homosexual students is pretty tight-knit and supportive without being exclusive of others.

-Now MS2 at NYMC

However it is my understanding that the College only did this after the threat of litigation and a very nasty letter from the AMA. (?)

Good Dr. -

Not wanting to disscuss where I work, but I do know the UCONN application system WELL.

I would recomend taking UCONN off your list. Not b/c it is homophobic, quite the opposite.

Of the 80 seats only 8-11% are filled by OOS students. And of these no less than half are dual degree candidates (MD/DMD, MD/PhD, MD/JD, MD/MPH).

OOS students are how UCONN keeps it's published stats high.

Actually this year the sitting class is 71% were female.

Yale is a great G/L/B school if you can afford it.

Someone mentioned Tulane. I know an IM/ID Doc who did his fellowship and MPH at Tulane and loved it. He is one of the few out PCPs here in Hartford. I can count them on one hand.

From what I've observed in my work as a Medic and then an RRT is that it's OK to be out in school but once one reaches the PGY years and then looks for work as an attending putting on one's CV that they are a member of the GLMA is not done. Sad.

Regarding the GLMA, I wonder how helpfull they may be with your question?

I've offten wondered about sexual orientation as a URMG. Hmm...
But I guess as long as the Federal Government still discriminates against Homosexuals that's moot.

Good Luck. :thumbup:

kirexhana said:
ouch, well at least the worst part is over, yea?

my stress is move induced also, and slightly mother induced too. every other she brings me something else to bring over to durham, problem, is i don't know if i can fit everything. i wonder if they allow vacuum cleaners as carry ons....

haha, same casa thing applies to you if you care to visit the research triangle for anything.

and something LGBT about duke for the sake of not completely diverting this thread.. apparently, at orientation there's going to be a speaker from the LGBT center (along with women's center and student council) on the first day. it's kinda comforting when the school makes this small gesture of outreach, although i'm not sure how prevalent this is among med schools.

i know, small detail, but i thought it was important. :)

Yeah, I'm going to SF tomorrow so hopefully I'll find a place. Right now I'm in Oklahoma for a wedding, which just makes me realize more how awesome SF will be :)

Let me know when you get moved in and all, and how Durham is going.

Gay doctor is the least thing that this country needs now, get another job.

Monkeymaniac said:
Gay doctor is the least thing that this country needs now, get another job.

I'd love to hear you say that in front of an interviewer.

odrade1 said:
This is one of the most stupid and sophomoric things I have heard. Do you fantasize about your fat, ugly female patients when you do gyn exams? If you do you are a moral pervert. If you don't, and you think that a gay doctor would fantasize about his male patient while doing a digital rectal exam then you are also a moral pervert. Or a fool.

I find it interesting that you say you're a moral pervert (as opposed to, say, an immoral pervert ;)) if a man (or les woman, I'm assuming) fantasizes about a "fat, ugly female" patient. Why the distinction? Shouldn't it be wrong to fantasize about *any* patient? It's interesting that it suddenly becomes MORE wrong if she is fat and/or ugly.

On the topic of having a male vs. les female OBGYN, as a straight woman, I'm somewhat torn. I certainly wouldn't object to being examined by a male doc (straight or otherwise), but I might be more inclined to see a female doc (straight or otherwise). Maybe it's just my bad luck with male docs and pelvic exams (I've had good male docs otherwise), but every experience I've had has been bad. I was even told by one doc "I don't want to examine you, and I don't think you want me to examine you" while investigating ovarian cysts. I was 18, and wanted to figure out what was going on with my body, but when he said that I was just like "uhhhh, yeah, sure" and left there having no idea what was going on. It was a full year before I got up the courage to come back, see a female doc, and sort everything out. Also, the women tend to be more gentle - maybe it's just cuz they know exactly how it feels? I don't know. ANYWAY, that's one long tangent!

OP - you have only one solution. Come to Canada :D Seriously, we even have Homo milk here and no one blinks twice :laugh: