GC boiling point elevation problem

Started by ems5184
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ems5184

Denist (future)
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This is from TopScore #1, I think their answer is wrong, could somoene work this one out and see what they get please.

If the Kb of a solvent is 3.51 degrees C/m, and the boiling point of the pure solvent is 70.4 degrees C, then what is the boiling point of a 4m solution of solute dissolved in the solvent?

A. 70.4
B. 84.4
C. 98.5
D. 112.5
E. None of these

The answer key says C, but I keep getting B.
 
Yea, I was pretty sure the answer was B, I guess for some reason my answer key was a little different, oh well. Thanks for checking me guys.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I work through the problem, and I also got B. HOWEVER, I can see why it would be. It would be C, IF THE SOLUTE DISSOCIATE. THAT MAKES SENSE BECAUSE IT IS COLLIGATIVE PROPERTIES. SO A MOLECULE THAT DISSOCIATES ACTUALY COUNTS AS TWO. The adjustment for this is calle the Van Hoft's Factor.

So, the equation really ought to be

delta t = (van hoft factor) (Kb) (molality)


In my experience with Top Score, most of their answers are really legit. I don't remember them have wrong answers.

Hope this helps.
 
jk5177 said:
I work through the problem, and I also got B. HOWEVER, I can see why it would be. It would be C, IF THE SOLUTE DISSOCIATE. THAT MAKES SENSE BECAUSE IT IS COLLIGATIVE PROPERTIES. SO A MOLECULE THAT DISSOCIATES ACTUALY COUNTS AS TWO. The adjustment for this is calle the Van Hoft's Factor.

So, the equation really ought to be

delta t = (van hoft factor) (Kb) (molality)


In my experience with Top Score, most of their answers are really legit. I don't remember them have wrong answers.

Hope this helps.

This is exactly right...Did the question specify a salt?

But someone mentioned their Topscore had B as the correct answer???