GC destroyer Q 189 please explain

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UnimaasMED

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So the question is:
At what temperature will a fixed amount of gas with a volume of 200 liter at 10 C and 750 Torr occupy a volume of 210 liter at a pressure of 610 Torr?

I used the right equation to solve but I thought we had to convert the temperature into Kelvin. But the answer key is not converting. Why is that? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

I don't see the point too since your other temperature is 10 C, keep it as celcius. Why did you convert to Kelvin when they did not ask for it?

So the question is:
At what temperature will a fixed amount of gas with a volume of 200 liter at 10 C and 750 Torr occupy a volume of 210 liter at a pressure of 610 Torr?

I used the right equation to solve but I thought we had to convert the temperature into Kelvin. But the answer key is not converting. Why is that? :confused:

we do need to convert temp into Kelvin scale...i have destroyer 09 n it does have the right answer in kelvin scale....do check Ur answer choice again..

we do need to convert temp into Kelvin scale...i have destroyer 09 n it does have the right answer in kelvin scale....do check Ur answer choice again..

Oh I am sorry I asked the wrong question. The temp is indeed in kelvin. What I meant to ask was why is the pressure in torr? Shouldn't it be atm or do we only convert into atm when we have the constant R in it?

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh I am sorry I asked the wrong question. The temp is indeed in kelvin. What I meant to ask was why is the pressure in torr? Shouldn't it be atm or do we only convert into atm when we have the constant R in it?

we do need to convert pressure into atm, temp into Kelvin n volume into liters...
1 atm= 760 Torr...so we divide Torr by 760 to get atm...but as pressure is on both sides it cancels out...

we do need to convert pressure into atm, temp into Kelvin n volume into liters...
1 atm= 760 Torr...so we divide Torr by 760 to get atm...but as pressure is on both sides it cancels out...

Yeah thats exactly what I am confused about because the answer key does not convert the pressure into atm.
The answer is (610)(210)(283)/ (750)(200)
But now that I think it makes sense. Since we are not using the R, there is no need to convert to atm. But I am not sure. I have the 2010 version. Can you check the answer in urs?

Yeah thats exactly what I am confused about because the answer key does not convert the pressure into atm.
The answer is (610)(210)(283)/ (750)(200)
But now that I think it makes sense. Since we are not using the R, there is no need to convert to atm. But I am not sure. I have the 2010 version. Can you check the answer in urs?

have the same solution set up...
it does not really matter as u r rite we r nt using value of R in our equation...when plugging in make sure units of pressure or volume are same on both sides such that division or multiplication on both sides to convert will cancel each other out... but in temp we are adding rather than multiplying or dividing so temp should be on always in kelvin...:)