GC Quesiton

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

hope_to_match

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My question is: can A through C even be considered molecules? I mean they carry the same charge so the explanation to the question doesn't make any sense. I understand that between Br2 and I2 , I2 will be bigger due to periodic trends. I am just confused why they would say that A-C are even molecules...

 
You might be over thinking this one. This question implies all of them are molecules (however unlikely they are 🙁 ) hence this question is just asking if one knows the trend of increasing radius (implying size).
 
Last edited:
A molecule is two covalently bonded atoms...like every one of these. When they are the same, it's just a molecule. When they are different, it is a compound, which is just a specific class of molecules.
 
You might be over thinking this one. This question implies all of them are molecules (however unlikely they are 🙁 ) hence this question is just asking if one knows the trend of increasing radius (implying size). Iodine has the largest radius (I>Br>Cl>F), so the I-I would have a higher total radius thus larger size than Br-Br or if it was bonded to any of the other atoms. Hope it helps!

yeah i understand that... (that's why i got the question right lol)

I was just wondering why they call A-C molecules (because as I mentioned earlier and you stated just now they are not..)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
A molecule is two covalently bonded atoms...like every one of these. When they are the same, it's just a molecule. When they are different, it is a compound, which is just a specific class of molecules.

hmm..i guess it is not something common to see two halogens bound together that's why I was wondering why they are molecules..Thanks for the explanation