gc question

Started by mg777
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

mg777

Tooth Mechanic
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
this problem is from ada sample test 2004

The electronic config. of a particular neutral atoms is 1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 3p2
What is the number of unpaired electrons in this atom?

1
2
3
4
0

I think it is 2. The answer in the back says 3. I dont see it. Whois right? If someone see's this can u give me a brief explanation. thx!
 
mg777 said:
this problem is from ada sample test 2004

The electronic config. of a particular neutral atoms is 1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 3p2
What is the number of unpaired electrons in this atom?

1
2
3
4
0

I think it is 2. The answer in the back says 3. I dont see it. Whois right? If someone see's this can u give me a brief explanation. thx!

well i think it might be 3. Here is their reasoning. There are 3 p orbitals. The 3S and 3P orbitals are somewhat similar in engery (how much will answer the question really). If they are really close, e- can easily be promoted. If each P orbital has 1 unpaired e- this is more stable than one p orbital left unfilled. You will also see this trend in d block elements. Thus you end up with 3s1 3p3.

In any case this is a somewhat shady question up for debate. However if we had 4s2 3d4 you would get 4s1 3d5 for sure.
 
the answer is 2, I think the degenerates happen at the d-block and never heard of the s and p orbitals having degeneracy...and according to the reasoning that it becomes 3s1 3p3, that makes it four unpaired electrons which doesn't fulfill the answer of 3 as well...so I believe it is 2...
 
sinned said:
the answer is 2, I think the degenerates happen at the d-block and never heard of the s and p orbitals having degeneracy...and according to the reasoning that it becomes 3s1 3p3, that makes it four unpaired electrons which dont make fulfill the answer of 3 as well...so I believe it is 2...


good point, i overlooked that 😀
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
yea i see your reasoning with the d-block. i didnt think of that. but it seems we're in agreement the answer is 2. i guess the hot shots at the ADA screwed up on this one. i hope their more careful with the real dat
 
yea i just got mine when i was at UF for their dental program tour on thursday. mine says 2004 Dent. Adm. Test 04. Sample test items.

Ive seen some of these questions in kaplan's q bank at kaptest.com
 
Yeah I don't think at that energy level you can have a jump like someone was saying. The differencec in energy is too great, 1/Ni^2-1/Nf^2 ... i remember reading that somewhere, which makes it harder in the lower orbitals. It should be two, but i think that's already the conclusion 🙂