GC Thermodynamic questions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bigbirdo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. Why delta H increases as temperature increases? For the equation delta
G = delta H -T deltaS, I was told that delta H is independent of temperature otherwise they wont be two terms in the equation. However, I saw that delta H increases as temperature increases... I am really confused..

2. Is this statement right? Lowercase k is related to rate (kinetic), which increases as temperature increases. Capital K is related to equilibrium constant (thermodynamic), whether increases or decreases depends on whether the reaction is endothermic or exothermic. When the reaction is exothermic, K decreases as temperature increase. When the reaction is endothermic, K increases as temperature increases.

I hope what I typed even makes sens....

Members don't see this ad.

1. Why delta H increases as temperature increases? For the equation delta
G = delta H -T deltaS, I was told that delta H is independent of temperature otherwise they wont be two terms in the equation. However, I saw that delta H increases as temperature increases... I am really confused..

2. Is this statement right? Lowercase k is related to rate (kinetic), which increases as temperature increases. Capital K is related to equilibrium constant (thermodynamic), whether increases or decreases depends on whether the reaction is endothermic or exothermic. When the reaction is exothermic, K decreases as temperature increase. When the reaction is endothermic, K increases as temperature increases.

I hope what I typed even makes sens....

1. At equilibrium delta G = 0, therefore you can rearrange the equation to deltaH = deltaS x T

2. K = products / reactants...If reaction is exothermic means heat is on products side. In endothermic reaction heat is on reactant side. So if you add heat to exothermic reaction it will shift towards the product, according to Le Chatileur principle. Meaning less product/ more reactant making K decrease. And so on for the endothermic reaction.