Gchem pros!!

Started by yakuza
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

yakuza

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I was trying to help these girls on a gchem problem and couldn't figure it out...


A hydrocarbon was burned in a bomb calorimeter. The temperature of the calorimeter and the 1.00 kg of water rose from 20.45'C to 23.65 'C. The heat capacity of the calorimeter, excluding water, is 2.21 kJ/'C. What is the heat released by combustion?

answer: 20.5 kJ
 
I thought I worked it out but I guess not...the answer may be incorrect.

delta H = mc delta T
= (1000g)(2.21KJ/C)(3.21)
= 7094.1 KJ

Input would be appreciated
 
I thought I worked it out but I guess not...the answer may be incorrect.

delta H = mc delta T
= (1000g)(2.21KJ/C)(3.21)
= 7094.1 KJ

Input would be appreciated

I found out, nvm but thx guys.

You add 7094 + qcalorimeter which is found by

q=C x dT

C being heat capacity
 
For bomb questions isn't it Qrxn = -(Qwater + Qbomb) so don't you need to know the specific heat of water to do this...??