GChem term

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IdahoDoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can some one explain Paramagnetism and diamagnetism to me please???

Members don't see this ad.

An atom or molecule is paramagnetic when it has unpaired electrons in its electron configuration. Due to these unpaired electrons, the atom or molecule can be weakly attracted to a magnetic field.

An atom or molecule is diamagnetic when it has no unpaired electrons in its electron configuration, causing it to repel magnetic fields.

Paramagnetism is stronger than diamagnetism.

I think that's all we need to know...i hope lol

Now, does anyone know what the heck gram equivalent weight is and how it related to normality??? i posted this q before, but no one answered me :(. Please, someone help...g chem has it out for me...i swear hehe

The way I think about paramagentisim and dimaganetism is:

Paramaganetism has unpaired e-, so "pair me up"

Dimagantism has no unpaired e-s, so if you remember para="pair me up" you should know diamagnetism.

Now, does anyone know what the heck gram equivalent weight is and how it related to normality??? i posted this q before, but no one answered me :(. Please, someone help...g chem has it out for me...i swear hehe

i hate GC as well.

here's what Kaplan has to say...

The normality (N) of a sol'n is equal to the # of gram equivalent weights (GEW) of solute per liter of sol'n. a GEW, or equivalent, is a measure of the reactive capacity of a molecule.

to calculate the normality of a sol'n we must first know for what purpose the sol'n is being used, b/c it is the concentration of the reactive species w/which we are concerned. Normality is unique among concentration units in that it is reaction dependent. For ex, a 1 molar sol'n of sulfuric acid would be 2 normal for acid-base reactions (b/c each mole of sulfuric acid provides 2 moles of H+ ions) but is only 1 normal for a sulfate precipitation reaction (b/c each molecule of sulfuric acid only provides 1 mole of sulfate ions).

Note: Normality is best thought of as "molarity of the stuff of interest" in the reaction.

HTH

edit: also, my mneumonic for remembering which is paired is in the name: DIamagnetic. Di = 2. like in DIatomic atoms.

gram equivalent is the mass, in grams, of a compound's equivalent weight-- the amount of an element that reacts, or is involved in reaction with, 1 mole of electrons. a gram equivalent is the amount of a compound that is necessary to produce a given normality of a reactive species in a solution.

since gram equivalent weight or equivalent is a measure of the reactive capacity of a given molecule. Normality is the only concentration unit that is reaction dependent. Example:
1 M sulfuric acid (H2SO4) is 2 N for acid-base reactions because each mole of surfuric acid provides 2 moles of H+ ions. On the other hand, 1 M sulfuric acid is 1 N for sulfate precipitation, since 1 mole of sulfuric acid provides 1 mole of sulfate ions.

Now, does anyone know what the heck gram equivalent weight is and how it related to normality??? i posted this q before, but no one answered me :(. Please, someone help...g chem has it out for me...i swear hehe[/quote]