1. Dismiss Notice
  2. This forum is for support and discussion only. Please promote test prep materials/services (including AMAs) in the Special Offers subforum only. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice

gchem terms?!?!

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by 113zami, May 13, 2008.

1. 113zami

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    anyone know what we have to know about these gchem terms that I found in destroyer, but didn't find anything about them in my text book and not any useful info online:confused::

Photo Fluorescent effect

Tunneling effect

thanks

2. 113zami

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    anyone....please:(

3. mamma dentist

2+ Year Member

Post Doc
    From what I recall, photofluroscent effect is basically when an atom is excited by a photon, its electrons go in an excited state depending upon the amount of energy that photon had, when this electron goes back to its ground state it releases this same amt of energy, in the form of light waves.

This is what one of textbook says: If an atom absorbs uv radiations which has higher energy than visible lt, it can return to its ground state by a series of low energy transitons. If the photons corresponding to these transitions are in the visible spectrum, we observe fluorescence.
    The questions they usually ask about this effect are absorption spectrum and emission spectrum. Different elements have unique absorption spectrum ( white light is passed thru a sample of an element, only certain frequencies are absorbed ---unique seq of dark lines) and emission spectrum ( this is when elements emit energy and come back to their ground states------ when this lt is passed thru a prism , it gives a unique seq of brite lines). Hope this helps. I have no clue about tunneling effect. Can you give me the exact qus no in Destroyer. I will look it up.