Gchem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Glycogen

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here is another one,we all know it.But I want someone to explain this to me.I just tried to memorize the pattern but I actually want to know the concept.

Which of the following atoms would have the largest ionic radii?

a.F-
b.O-2
c.Na+
d.Mg+2
e.Al+3

Ok,I always pick the one with the most negative charge(memorized it) and don't know the concept.Can someone explain please??????????

Members don't see this ad.

Here is another one,we all know it.But I want someone to explain this to me.I just tried to memorize the pattern but I actually want to know the concept.

Which of the following atoms would have the largest ionic radii?

a.F-
b.O-2
c.Na+
d.Mg+2
e.Al+3

Ok,I always pick the one with the most negative charge(memorized it) and don't know the concept.Can someone explain please??????????

another good question, it has to be O-2 because they are all isoelectronic with each other, they are all Ne ions, so basically look at the number of protons present...you have more protons in Al so that would be the smallest, then Mg then Na then F then Oxygen...your taking off electrons or adding electrons

So,what is the definition for atomic radii in simple,non chemical wording?
I know that it will increase as you go to right and up the PT but I don't know what actually it is?

I know that it will increase as you go to right and up the PT but I don't know what actually it is?
In a non chemical sense its simply the radius of the atom.

Members don't see this ad :)

basically the ratio between protons and electrons...

so if you have more protons then electrons it will be very strong...obviously you cant really calculate this but if you know the trend then its simple...

When you take off electrons lets say from a Ca atom that has 20 electrons and 20 protons, lets say you take off 2 electrons, you will have still 20 protons but now you have 18 electrons (Ar)...so you have less electrons now and the same number of protons so it is gonig to be help tighter then what it was when you had 20 e- and 20 protons...

hopefully you see what i am saying and it will help...

atomic radius increases from top to bottom and from right to left. Now if you have anions they are larger than the original atom because more electrons are added but the number of protons dont change. Cations are smaller because you have less electrons for the protons to hold so they bring the electrons closer (lol i dont know if that made sense). so to give an example .....

Ca2+, Ca, Ca2- would be in this order (smallest to greatest atomic radius)

basically the ratio between protons and electrons...

so if you have more protons then electrons it will be very strong...obviously you cant really calculate this but if you know the trend then its simple...

When you take off electrons lets say from a Ca atom that has 20 electrons and 20 protons, lets say you take off 2 electrons, you will have still 20 protons but now you have 18 electrons (Ar)...so you have less electrons now and the same number of protons so it is gonig to be help tighter then what it was when you had 20 e- and 20 protons...

hopefully you see what i am saying and it will help...

Oh,ok I got it and that is why it will increase to the right.Thanks osims.

I thought it will decrease as you go right and up the PT, if you are facing the PT in front of you..!!