GED and Med. School

Started by kdawg33
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

kdawg33

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This year, I had an injury, and I was out of school for longer than was allowed, so I had to repeat the grade again, and I decided to be an idiot and choose to legally withdraw from school, and got my GED. What I would want to know, does this hinder my chances of med. school?
 
No. Just get a bachelor's degree in whatever you want, good ECs, GPA, and MCAT. Then wow them during the interview for your best chance.
 
Had a GED, starting med school in 18 days. No one cares.

The only real thing it limits is your choice of colleges for your bachelor's degree. This doesn't limit your medical school chances per se, but some of the more selective schools do provide better research and EC opportunities than the less selective colleges out there.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You'll be okay. May make getting into a top school harder (mainly because it'll limit your undergrad a tiny bit, but even still you can always do a year at CC then go three years at a decently good uni). Honestly wish I would've done a GED for final year or two of high school and went to CC
 
Hey, you sound like me! I had almost the same issue (mine was illness). I started immediately at a community college and am now at a university doing well, and loving my studies. Don't let setbacks like this hold you back. Push forward and use them as added motivation to work your bum off.
 
Med schools don't care about your high school education. They care about your undergraduate coursework.
 
I had a few questions about it when I was interviewing, but it wasn't a big deal (left school early for college). If you're looking for colleges outside CC, make sure your SATs/ACTs are high. Selective schools didn't care much about my having a GED with high SAT scores.