Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Gee Thanks

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by WonderCole, Sep 25, 2000.

1. WonderCole

WonderCole Junior Member

This is my response to the last post. I was hoping for just a little more encouragement. The reason I am back in school is to make myself look less Gumpish for the admissions committee. Do you really think that people like to basically humiliate themselves in this pursuit? Are you in medical school? Some of us just have to take a back door. I would hope you would'nt try to slam the door.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Besyonek

Besyonek Senior Member

I think Djanaba was being very forthright in his/her advice. If you just want meaningless platitudes, don't ask people for their views. Seriously, it's going to be very difficult to get into an allo program (or maybe osteo as well) unless you bring your MCAT up. What kind of preparation did you have for the previous exams? If you develop a serious study plan with or without a separate prep course, then you can optimize your chances for next April.

I think you should reevaluate the schools you're applying to. Look at the average MCAT and GPA for the ones you're interested in; if your stats are significantly lower, think long and hard before you waste $$$ on the AMCAS or AACOMAS fees and secondary fees.

Good luck.

4. ntxawmx

ntxawmx Senior Member

I read Djanaba's reply to your post and I didn't see anything in there that was necessarily negative. That person was trying to help you view your situation from a realistic standpoint.

We all know that single digit MCAT's are questionable. All of us want to score at least, at the very least, a 9 or better on each section. And when we do not achieve such scores, we question ourselves, just like you have.

Anyone who tells you that it would be easy to get into medical schools with single digit scores would be misleading you. On the other hand, no one is telling you that it's impossible either. Djanaba was listing a list of options. Anyone trying to get into medical school should have a list of back-up plans. In addition, medical schools ad coms will want to know that you've significantly improved your application before they will consider you. They wouldn't want to review an application which they rejected in previous years, if it's going to look relatively the same as before.

Look on the bright side. You have made plans to retake this dreadful exam and I'm certain that you have every intention to do much better than your highest scores. Focus on that. Evaluate how you studied the last 3 times and try other methods that you may have not used.

Good luck. If you want something badly enough, never give up until you've exhausted every means you have.

5. Djanaba

Djanaba Senior Member

Thanks for your support, Besyonek and ntxawmx.

WonderCole, they're right. I'm MS-II, and though I certainly feel for you and your unlucky circumstances, I think you need to keep your eyes wide open and consider all your options given your position. (Isn't that what your post was asking for -- certainly not deprication, but neither a pat on the head, saying there there, it will be all right?) I'm not slamming any doors, but admissions committees may well do that when they read your stats. It's nothing personal. But now is the time for you to make your move and shine, give the committees something to notice you for despite previous MCATs. Give them something personal to hang their hats on. And rock that test.

That said, I wish you nothing but the best, and hope that you continue to explore many options at once in the off chance your current dream isn't realized. That's not bitchy -- that's realistic.

6. m1

m1

I stumbled into this message board by accident, and I started reading your postings, and decided to register just so I could post a reply.

Allow me to put things straight for you. MCAT is not everything. I got a 19 combined score the first time I took it and a 25 the second time. Medical schools saw both scores and I was accepted into the U of Illinois the first year I applied. Granted, I got many many rejection letters, but they do look at other things. The goal is to find a school that is willing to do that. Don't spend countless hours worrying over the MCAT. I did, and it was useless because I got accepted to school anyway. Plus, now that I am in med school, and I am right in the middle of my class in terms of grades, so the MCAT didn't predict a whole lot in terms of M1. Don't worry about the MCAT! Try your hardest and don't give up, and things have a way of working out.