GEMS Program at Georgetown

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MyHobbyIsMedSch

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone completed this program?
I would love to learn more about it.
Please PM me.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you mean Geriatric Education for EMS? If so, I found it a waste of time and would suggest that you save your money. Of course how it is taught may make a significant difference.

Members don't see this ad :)
i'm currently attending GEMS, so let me know if you have any questions.

Hey car66. I have a few questions for you about GEMS...first of all i have been to the website many times so i know all that stuff, anyways, what is it like right now? What kind of people are in it? Is it all just the 4 defined "URM" groups or it is more diverse than that? Am I Underrepresented in medicine, (Im From El Salvador)? What kind of classes are you taking? Lastly, what kind of stats did you have?I would really love to go to this program:rolleyes:. Thank you for any help.:)

Hey car66. I have a few questions for you about GEMS...first of all i have been to the website many times so i know all that stuff, anyways, what is it like right now? What kind of people are in it? Is it all just the 4 defined "URM" groups or it is more diverse than that? Am I Underrepresented in medicine, (Im From El Salvador)? What kind of classes are you taking? Lastly, what kind of stats did you have?I would really love to go to this program:rolleyes:. Thank you for any help.:)

GEMS is great, I'm loving it so far. The class is very diverse (traditional URMs and non-URMS). The emphasis is on "disadvantaged" as opposed to URM, so make sure you can explain why you feel you are "disadvantaged" since it is asked on the AMCAS, the GEMS app, and probably at the interview.

If you are from El Salvador, you are a URM. Guess what? I'm from El Salvador too! There are a few Central Americans here at GEMS.

In the GEMS program we primarily take first year med school courses, about half the course load of a regular first year. It's tough, but well worth it.

I won't reveal my exact stats because I don't think the stats are the most important thing when applying to GEMS. In general, relative to the stats posted on the website I had a below average GPA but an above average MCAT score.

The website makes clear what they're looking for:

1. Are you disadvantaged? How so? How how has this affected your academic career?
2. Are you ready to address and overcome those disadvantages? How so?
3. Are you committed to a career in medicine? (should be evident from your statements and your activities)
4. Are you committed to a career serving under-served populations? (should be evident from your statements and your activities)
5. Are you particularly interested in Georgetown and the GEMS program? Why?
6. Are you a caring, honest, dependable, committed, determined, likable person? (This last one may sound strange, but it's actually very important to getting into and being successful at Georgetown.)

If you can answer those questions fully and intelligently in your statements/essays, applications, and at an interview, you'll have a shot at GEMS. Of course stats are important too, and an upward trend in your stats is a good thing.

Good luck to anyone applying to GEMS.

By the way, letters of rec are extremely important. Make sure your letter writers can speak to some of the things that are emphasized on the GEMS website.

And if your stats need help but you don't think you're "disadvantaged", I would recommend trying some of the other post-bacc or SMP programs. GEMS has a high matriculation rate into the medical school, and they can sniff out applicants that are applying just because of those impressive numbers, and not because they are disadvantaged/care about under-served populations/etc.

Main point: They make very clear on the website what they are looking for. If you feel you fit their criteria, apply. Otherwise, save your money. The application process at GEMS is getting increasingly competitive.

Hola mi amigo! That is awesome that you are from El Salvador...i was adopted when i was 5 from an orphanage in San Salvador. Anyways, you really helped a lot. Yeah i am very interested in the program and i will definitely apply in February 2008, i think that i may have a pretty good shot.My stas are prolly like yours (3.05 GPA and 27Q MCAT). I live close to DC in Northern VA, so that is why want to go to G'Town, plus of course that it is a great school. Anyways, i am very dedicated in helping underserved populations, i help put together this Monthly newsletter called El Pueblito which is distributed to Latinos en mi ciudad, y ellos pueden buscar opportunidades medicos, como viajes al espacio de emergencia y otras elecciones medicos en la cominidad. :). I am also a volunteer at an uninsured medical clinic. I am excited to discover that i qualify as a URM, cause i was not sure, but it makes sense since, there are prolly not many Salvadoran docs at all. Anyways, i am super stoked now. Can't wait til Feb, Dios Mediante, i will be in the GEMS next year. Hey do you have an AIM screename?Thanks for all you help bud. Sorry but one last question, what classes are you all taking this year, b/c they said several curriculum revisions were in order? Gracias por ayuda. :rolleyes:

Yes, the curriculum will probably be changing. We're taking embryo, biochem, physio, endocrine, and some other electives. But next year, it could be very different.

I'm a socioeconomically disadvantaged applicant and interested in GEMS program. J

Yes, the curriculum will probably be changing. We're taking embryo, biochem, physio, endocrine, and some other electives. But next year, it could be very different.

Last edited:
I'm a socioeconomically disadvantaged applicant and interested in GEMS program. Just wondering do you have to reapply again after you have completed the program in order to receive admission to medical school? or is it like a guaranteed admission like Drexel DPMS? Thanks!
You have to reapply to med school.
BTW, I am a med student and I went through the GEMS programs. So if anyone has any questions about the program feel free to ask.

Thanks for your reply! are you going to Georgetown right now? GEMS indicates that 90% of participants will get accepted to Georgetown, so I'm wondering how that works. Is it because they give u advantage? also, do you reapply during your GEMS program or after your GEMS program?

You have to reapply to med school.
BTW, I am a med student and I went through the GEMS programs. So if anyone has any questions about the program feel free to ask.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your reply! are you going to Georgetown right now? GEMS indicates that 90% of participants will get accepted to Georgetown, so I'm wondering how that works. Is it because they give u advantage? also, do you reapply during your GEMS program or after your GEMS program?
Yes, I am currently attending Georgetown Med School. Based on numbers from previous years, a majority of the GEMS students do get accepted to Georgetown Med School after their GEMS years (but the acceptance rate to other schools are relatively low). You reapply during your GEMS year. There will be a special session given by the dean of the admissions committee (@ Georgetown) to the GEMS students and he/she will explain the whole procedure. The GEMS academic committee will make recommendations to the med school admissions committe (after you have completed most of your courses) and that will dictate whether or not you get an interview (usually around mid-late april). You will hear from Georgetown at the end of may (acceptance/rejection letter).

Thanks for your reply! Do they prepare you to take the MCAt again and do you need to get at least 3.0 for a good chance to get into Georgetown Med?

Yes, I am currently attending Georgetown Med School. Based on numbers from previous years, a majority of the GEMS students do get accepted to Georgetown Med School after their GEMS years (but the acceptance rate to other schools are relatively low). You reapply during your GEMS year. There will be a special session given by the dean of the admissions committee (@ Georgetown) to the GEMS students and he/she will explain the whole procedure. The GEMS academic committee will make recommendations to the med school admissions committe (after you have completed most of your courses) and that will dictate whether or not you get an interview (usually around mid-late april). You will hear from Georgetown at the end of may (acceptance/rejection letter).

Thanks for your reply! Do they prepare you to take the MCAt again and do you need to get at least 3.0 for a good chance to get into Georgetown Med?
This program is not designed to help you to retake the MCAT again. In fact, almost no one retake the MCAT during their GEMS year. The goal of this program is to help you to strengthen your study skill so you can succeed in med school. If you have successfully completed the program (getting above the med school avg. on all your exams) then you have a really good chance of getting accepted to Georgetown med.

Reactions: 1 user
Just for curiosity's sake, how many GEMS students are there this year? Cause i think they interviewed 60 in total, right?Thanks.

30 this year

I just want to be sure about this...I would have to apply to georgetown med through amcas before I could apply to gems. Is this right?

Hey I had a question about this as well and i e-mailed Mr. Taylor and Ms. Williams about this. They said, we that you should apply to a med school for which you think you are competitive. So this per se doesnt mean G-town. However for the program, i know that you do need a verified AMCAS. Applying with a G-town application prolly doesnt hurt:/--Hope that helps. I'm applying too in Feb. Good luck!

I just want to be sure about this...I would have to apply to georgetown med through amcas before I could apply to gems. Is this right?
You need to have an amcas filled out before you can apply to gems but you don't need to apply to georgetown med.

Hi, I would like to know if any of you participated with the MCAT program Chicago Area Health and Medical Careers Program (CAHMCP) Illinois Institute of Technology MCAT program? If so, please let me know how you found it and was it helpful.

Thanks,

HealingTouch

You need to have an amcas filled out before you can apply to gems but you don't need to apply to georgetown med.

I just found out about the GEMS program and other programs like it. My question would be do you think I have time to complete the AMCAS? Do other programs for URM also require it? I can get recs and have all prereqs done. I just don't know if AMCAS has it system open for a short period of time May-? And, how long prcessing takes? I would like to apply for the GEMS program in Feb '09.

I plan on taking my MCAT in January. I am currently in a post bacc at a research center. I have a 3.38 gpa and I think I would be an ideal candidate based on my background. I think this would be a good move for me.

Any questions/comments would help.

Hey Bluejazz and everyone else,
What are the other programs that are similar to GEMS? I'm applying to some post bacs now, including GEMS.

GEMS application fee is somewhat expensive though. $130!!!

Hi Carr66, I got a few points lower (on the MCAT) for the cutoff point. Everything else is okay though such as my GPA. Do you know if I should still apply? Or is their cutoff point for the MCAT really strict? Please let me know asap. thank you

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone completed this program?
I would love to learn more about it.
Please PM me.
Hi, did you apply? I am thinking of applying this cycle. Please give me your insight! what is the acceptance rate like for GEMS program?

Hi Carr66, I got a few points lower (on the MCAT) for the cutoff point. Everything else is okay though such as my GPA. Do you know if I should still apply? Or is their cutoff point for the MCAT really strict? Please let me know asap. thank you
Hi, what program did you apply to? How did you like it? I am not looking for an SMP for this year. thank you for the insight in advance!

Anyone know if we can apply even though we don't have an MCAT score during the indicated range of Jan-15 to Nov-16, I have an old MCAT of Sept 14 and plan on taking the new one in January and worried I won't be elgible just because of this....anyone know?

This program is not designed to help you to retake the MCAT again. In fact, almost no one retake the MCAT during their GEMS year. The goal of this program is to help you to strengthen your study skill so you can succeed in med school. If you have successfully completed the program (getting above the med school avg. on all your exams) then you have a really good chance of getting accepted to Georgetown med.
Do you know what is the average score on each exam you need to get to meet the requirements ?