Gen Chem calculations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

enfuego

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm having a hard time reviewing for gen chem because I don't quite understand how much they expect you to know for calculations. Do I need to memorize the formulas and the various constants and such?

I've read on here that the calculations are pretty simple and that they're set up for you. I don't understand what it means when it says they're set up for you. Does it mean you're given the equation? That seems way too easy...

I'm just having a hard time since I haven't seen a sample problem in the style the DAT would ask. Can anyone explain it more clearly? Or tell me where I can find a couple sample questions?

Members don't see this ad.

They don't give you the equation, they just don't expect you to be able to do large calculations in the limited alotted time.

So they'll ask you like what's the volume of a gas if it's starting volume is blah1 and pressure is blah2 and the pressure is changed to blah3.

So they'll expect you to know P1V1=P2V2 and the answer would be V2=[(blah1)(blah2)]/blah3

Last edited:
I'm having a hard time reviewing for gen chem because I don't quite understand how much they expect you to know for calculations. Do I need to memorize the formulas and the various constants and such?
Memorize the formula.
No need to memorize the constants. They're given!
I've read on here that the calculations are pretty simple and that they're set up for you. I don't understand what it means when it says they're set up for you. Does it mean you're given the equation? That seems way too easy...
This is not the case for all questions. SOME questions give you answer choices in form of formulas rather than specific numerical answers. Nevertheless, for majority of questions, you need to do calculations and come up with specific numbers.

I'm just having a hard time since I haven't seen a sample problem in the style the DAT would ask. Can anyone explain it more clearly? Or tell me where I can find a couple sample questions?
Visit ADA for a sample test, or purchase one of the many software out there that provide you with full-length exams.