gen chem grades

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Meda903

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys im finishing up the end of my first year at UMBC. i have a feeling i might end up getting a c in chem 101 AND 102 but i got a A in bio 101 and B in physics 111. Do you guys think i should retake 102 again before orgo? Im scared i may have ruined my chances of getting into any dental school by not doing well in gen chem.

Members don't see this ad.

I can't recommend anything for you, but I can tell you about my experience with general and ochem. I hated general chemistry (received a B in 1 and 2). However, I loved organic chemistry. If you like solving puzzles and visual learning then I think you will love it and do well. Nonetheless, if you really think you need to retake general then do it, but I probably wouldn't...

But I think a C in both might seriously damage my chances of getting accepted anywhere

Members don't see this ad :)
I also got Cs in general chemistry, and im retaking both during the summer.

if you are still a freshmen then its ok. just get as and bs from now on. i dont know if you should retake.

from what i hear from ad coms and from reading here is that u shouldnt retake unless u fail. obviously if u retake u will do better since u went over it once already. this does not show them anything. they want to see u do better in future classes tho. so say u fail general bio. they would rather see u do better in higher level bio cllasses than retake general bio again. not sure if its the same for chem since you dont really take upper level chem classes. if u do good in orgo this might show them u can do it maybe?

if you are still a freshmen then its ok. just get as and bs from now on. i dont know if you should retake.

from what i hear from ad coms and from reading here is that u shouldnt retake unless u fail. obviously if u retake u will do better since u went over it once already. this does not show them anything. they want to see u do better in future classes tho. so say u fail general bio. they would rather see u do better in higher level bio cllasses than retake general bio again. not sure if its the same for chem since you dont really take upper level chem classes. if u do good in orgo this might show them u can do it maybe?

That makes sence, but I would still retake the class no matter what. It would make it easier for anyone to study when DAT time comes, plus you dont wanna go into orgo without fully understanding the basics. A little raise in the GPA is always good also :)

My 2 cents :)

any other opinions

Take the ochem study harder. Focus on the rest of your classes.

Retake gen chem if you have time before you graduate if you really need to boost your GPA but around the time you are taking the DAT so you have a second good excuse to retake a class.

I received my only C in college in gen chem 2. It really is not the end of the world. Just about everyone has THAT class that they absolutely despise. As mentioned by someone above, I hate gen chem, love organic chem. You do not need to get an A in gen chems to do well in organic. They are very different subjects. Only basic gen chem concepts are relevant to orgo (ex. nomenclature, symbols like C, N, O, H, P..) Unless you want to retake the class for personal reasons/DAT prep, I would not put myself through that awful class again.