Gen chem + microbiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

jackal head

Registered Sex Offender
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is it a bad idea to take microbiology while taking gen chem? I hear you need to take organic 1 before taking microbiology.
 
Is it a bad idea to take microbiology while taking gen chem? I hear you need to take organic 1 before taking microbiology.

I don't know about if you need Org I before micro because I have not take either of those classes yet. IMO if it wasn't a prereq for my school then I would go ahead and take it. I took Gen Chem II and Bio I last semester and it was a lot of work (well, I work full time also) but it was definitely do-able. I say go for it. 🙂
 
Is it a bad idea to take microbiology while taking gen chem? I hear you need to take organic 1 before taking microbiology.

You don't need organic for microbiology. You only really need General Biology as a basis for microbiology.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Organic has nothing to do with microbio.

Well, our organic prof. was telling us about beta-lactams one lecture, which we covered in microbio, but that was just his way of showing us how organic is actually useful for pharmacists. I would still understand reasonably well what beta-lactams did without that lecture (and I didn't need to know their structure for micro anyway).
 
If you hope to get through your pre-reqs reasonably fast, you're going to have to take a couple sciences or even three per semester depending on which ones you need. You should be able to handle both together.
 
At my school, the pre-req to microbio was gen bio. While the class is a lot more interesting than gen bio, I got a C in the class -_-.