Gen Chem on PCAT

Started by sp10
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

sp10

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey All,

I am planning on giving the PCAT in June. It has been a few years since I had taken the chem classes. I am using a Gen Chem textbook to supplement KAPLAN reading material. I am also solving problems from the textbook. However some are quite long esp in the acid/base rxns. I understand that PCAT doesn't usually involve lengthy calculations. Am I overdoing it by doing the probs in the text or would they better prepare me for PCAT??

Any thoughts/suggestions/facts from the test welcome 🙂)

Thanks!
 
I socred 95% on the chem section and my study methods for chemistry were as follows. I used Dr. Collins and made sure I knew the chemistry review section front to back. When I was not 100% confident in a particular area I would review my old notes. The most important thing for the chemistry section is knowing the theory behind everything. Calculations are important but the calculations that you will be doing on the PCAT will be short and simple. Hope this helps.
 
I socred 95% on the chem section and my study methods for chemistry were as follows. I used Dr. Collins and made sure I knew the chemistry review section front to back. When I was not 100% confident in a particular area I would review my old notes. The most important thing for the chemistry section is knowing the theory behind everything. Calculations are important but the calculations that you will be doing on the PCAT will be short and simple. Hope this helps.

Quoted for TRUTH!

I scored 99% on the Chemistry section and it's incredibly important to understand the theories behind certain concepts in General Chemistry. The calculations are incredibly simple, so I wouldn't spend much time on those. However, I'd be sure to understand Le Chatelier's Principle, the different types of nuclear emissions, etc.

There are numerous textbook websites that you can use for free. Therefore, if you don't have your old notes, I would go to a website and practice problems. It really paid off for me with my score.