Gen Chem question

Started by ScottW3
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ScottW3

Senior Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've got a couple of last minute chem questions that have to do with oxidation and reduction reactions.

1. If you are asked for the sum of the coefficients of a balanced redox rxn, do you include those from the electrons?
A topscore 3 question asked this and the answer did include them, but I thought in a balanced redox rxn, you cancel the electrons.

2. Kaplan says that "a higher standard reduction potential means a greater tendancy for reduction to occur, while a lower SHE means a greater tendancy for oxidation to occur."
Does this mean higher as in larger number or larger magnitute? I keep getting confused when I try to figure it out. Lets say you have a SHE of -2 for X and .5 for Y. Which gets reduced (X because 2>.5 or Y because +.5>-2) ?

Thanks everyone
 
1. pretty sure that the electrons are cancelled in the balanced equation, I don't know whats going on there...

2. For a galvanic or voltaic cell, you would want to add your standard rediction potentional such that you have the greatest positive number, which would indicate a spontaneous reaction (because delta G = -nFE). So if you have two reduction potentials, -2 for X and 0.5 for Y, you would want to flip the -2 around giving you a positive 2 (meaning the X now gets oxidized). By adding 2+.5 you get 2.5 which is a higher value than -2+.5=-1.5. If the addition of the two potentials in not postitve, then the reaction would not be spontaneous, therefore the battery would not work.

So, Y gets reduced and X gets oxidized...I hope that all made sense.
 
ScottW3 said:
I've got a couple of last minute chem questions that have to do with oxidation and reduction reactions.

1. If you are asked for the sum of the coefficients of a balanced redox rxn, do you include those from the electrons?
A topscore 3 question asked this and the answer did include them, but I thought in a balanced redox rxn, you cancel the electrons.

Thanks everyone

Hum.....can you post the question, I don't have my Topscore with me. I think i did that problem just a couple days ago. Maybe I can help.
 
If this is the question regarding MnO4- and I2, then the answer was right. And you should cancel out the electrons. Hum...if I remember right, i think you should have 5 e- on the MnO4 equation, and 2e- on the I2 equation. Then balance the e- and cancel them will give you the right answer. However, i could be wrong about which question you are asking...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks for the help so far. I understand the reduction potential now. As for the TS question, it was question 69 on TS3. I redid it and now I keep getting answer C (35). I don't know how I was getting E before, and I don't know how D (43) is correct.

MnO4- + I- ---> I2 + Mn2+

My individual balanced equations are:

10e- + 8H2 + 2MnO4- ---> 2Mn2+ + 8H2O and

10I- ---> 5I2 +10e-

So my full balanced equation is :

10I- +8H2 + 2MnO4- ---> 2Mn2+ + 8H20 + 5 I2

10+8+2+2+8+5=35

I just don't get it. Everything in gchem i get fine except for this and that darn common ion effect.
Any help would be much appreciated
 
I think the problem here is that they didn't specify whether to balance the equation in acidic or basic solution. You are doing it in a basic solution which requires adding OH- to balance the oxygens, but if you balance the equation in an acidic solution (ie adding H20 to balance your O's), you get the correct answer:

MnO4- ---> Mn2+
MnO4- ---> Mn2+ + 4H20 (add H20)
8H+ + MnO4- ---> Mn2+ + 4H20 (balance H's)
5e- + 8H+ + MnO4- ---> Mn2+ + 4H20 (balance charge)

I- ---> I2
2I- ---> I2 (balance I's)
2I- ---> I2 + 2e- (balance charge)

2[5e- + 8H+ + MnO4- ---> Mn2+ + 4H20] + 5[2I- ---> I2 + 2e-] =
16H+ + 2MnO4- + 10I ---> 2Mn2+ + 8H2O + 5I2

16+2+10+2+8+5=43