Gen Chem Question

Started by Utes
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Utes

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
First off, I'm pretty dumb... With that out of the way....

Which of the following is not considered a Chlorate?

A) ClO2-
B) ClO3-
C) ClO4-
D) ClO4 2-
E) All are Chlorates

I put A as it is Chlorite
B is Chlorate
C is Perchlorate
I didn't know what D would be, some isotope of Perchlorate?

The answer is D ClO4 2-

Could someone help explain why it isn't A Chlorite?

Thanks,
Utes
 
drat said:
A is hypochlorate, not a chlorite. Hmmm, does that answer your question...??

On page 288 of Kaplan's Blue book it says

ClO- is Hypochlorite
ClO2- is Chlorite
ClO3- is Chlorate
ClO4- is Perchlorate
and it doesn't say what ClO4 2- is

I don't claim to know what I'm talking about, I'd just like an explanation so I don't get it wrong on the actual DAT.
Thanks
 
Keep in mind the numbers should be read as subscripts. ClO2- is chlorite. It has one less oxygen than the oxyanion chlorate, ClO3-. All the chlorate oxyanions have a 1- charge. D is correct because a 2- charge would not make it a member of the chlorate oxyanions.
 
calbear14 said:
Keep in mind the numbers should be read as subscripts. ClO2- is chlorite. It has one less oxygen than the oxyanion chlorate, ClO3-. All the chlorate oxyanions have a 1- charge. D is correct because a 2- charge would not make it a member of the chlorate oxyanions.


Thank you, I appreciate your help!

Utes
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
calbear14 said:
Keep in mind the numbers should be read as subscripts. ClO2- is chlorite. It has one less oxygen than the oxyanion chlorate, ClO3-. All the chlorate oxyanions have a 1- charge. D is correct because a 2- charge would not make it a member of the chlorate oxyanions.

Yup, I'm an idiot. I am going to edit my answer up there ^^ 'cause I don't like leaving wrong info on the forum in case people don't read the whole thread. Sorry, Utes, for any confusion I may have caused.
 
ClO4- is referred to as perchlorate. anything with an extra oxygen is referred to that way. You will see that a little bit more in Organic such as PBA or Perbenzoic Acid, Peracetic Acid, Performic Acid etc.