1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Gen Chem Question

Discussion in 'MCAT Study Question Q&A' started by Farcus, Jun 20, 2008.

1. Farcus

10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    292. Find the element possessing the set of quantum numbers [5, l, -l, +l/2] for its last electron.
    1) 31Ga 2) 47Ag 3) 50Sn 4) 81Tl 5) none of these
    ANS: 5

How is this problem correct?

Ok primary quan number is 5 so 2:thumbdown:^2=50 which make sense to be 3 right? since SN has 50 protons. and also 1 is the L then it means it has S and P orbitals that SN does have and -1 would mean Px. How is it None of the above?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. BerkReviewTeach

BerkReviewTeach Company Rep & Bad Singer
    Exhibitor 10+ Year Member

Five answer choices? You might want to reconsider the materials. While it's a good question, five answer choices is not realistic, so the materials may not be realistic.

n = 5 thus fifth shell
    l = 1 thus p-orbital
    ml = -1 so it's a px orbital
    ms = +1/2, so it's spin up

This means that we need to look at the first element in the fifth row of the p-block to find the element with those quantum numbers for the last electron. That happens to be In, element 49.

4. Farcus

10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    thanks

but had the problem been [5, l, -l, + and - l/2]

it would of been SN right? since -1 mean Px which is either In or Sn but since there are two electrons now then it'll be SN right?

I know its not realistic I just found this online, I needed to brush up on my Gen Chem.