Gen Chem Requirements

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sb21992

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took AP Chem in high school and my score allowed me to be placed into Org. Chem freshman year of college. I did a year of that, and then also took 2 upper-level Inorganic Chem classes without labs, since the only classes with labs at my college were at a lower level than the Orgo classes.

I know most schools want about a year of Inorganic Chem with lab, and for most the AP credit counts. But for somewhere like UCSF that doesn't accept AP credit to fill the entire prereq, do you think I'd have to go back and retake the intro Gen Chem sequence? This is also a problem since I graduate in December and don't have space to take the sequence anyway.

Members don't see this ad.

I took AP Chem in high school and my score allowed me to be placed into Org. Chem freshman year of college. I did a year of that, and then also took 2 upper-level Inorganic Chem classes without labs, since the only classes with labs at my college were at a lower level than the Orgo classes.

I know most schools want about a year of Inorganic Chem with lab, and for most the AP credit counts. But for somewhere like UCSF that doesn't accept AP credit to fill the entire prereq, do you think I'd have to go back and retake the intro Gen Chem sequence? This is also a problem since I graduate in December and don't have space to take the sequence anyway.

I think the upper level inorganic chem classes more than make up for those gen chem classes. You poor soul. I hated gen chem I can't imagine what inorganic chem was like.

If you aced the courses, you might have some leeway.