mestmet31

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 1, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
question 15 states...given the following reaction, if the temperature were increased which direction would the reaction be shifted? delta H = -527

I don't know how to input the reaction here but the reaction only proceeds forward (aka it does not have 2 arrows...only one arrow in the forward direction)

the answer says that it will shift to the left (which i understand), however since this is not at equilibrium..shouldn't the temperature change have no effect on reactants...

I am almost 100% certain if we were to increase or decrease the amount of concentration of the products..the reactants would not be affected

May 15, 2009
CA
Status
Dental Student
question 15 states...given the following reaction, if the temperature were increased which direction would the reaction be shifted? delta H = -527

I don't know how to input the reaction here but the reaction only proceeds forward (aka it does not have 2 arrows...only one arrow in the forward direction)

the answer says that it will shift to the left (which i understand), however since this is not at equilibrium..shouldn't the temperature change have no effect on reactants...

I am almost 100% certain if we were to increase or decrease the amount of concentration of the products..the reactants would not be affected
That's probably a typo! If the answer says that the reaction shifts to the left upon changing the temperature, then you must assume the reaction is at equilibrium and it can shift back and forth in order to maintain that equilibrium.

OP
M

mestmet31

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 1, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
so are you saying that technically it is not supposed to have an affect on the reactants?

Murl

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 16, 2008
Status
Dental Student
I would think that would largely depend on what delta S is.

May 15, 2009
CA
Status
Dental Student
so are you saying that technically it is not supposed to have an affect on the reactants?
I'm saying if you have an exothermic reaction, where increase in temperature causes the reaction to shift to the left (as it should) then the reaction of interest is definitely reversible, which means that the fact that they're showing it as a one way reaction is probably a typo.