Gen Ed requirements are KILLING ME

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FiremedicMike

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Seriously these classes are so dull and pointless. Currently I'm taking Western Civilization (basically 2500 BC to ~1300 AD) and it's another one of those "here's your textbook (a particularly HORRIBLE one at that) and here's your quiz and test dates, bye". To make matters worse, the professor is an absolute jackass, and any email response he eventually gets around to replying to is laden with arrogant sarcasm, even better, his answers are intentionally vague. I'd probably punch him in the face if I ever met him..

Of my gen ed classes, I still have intro to sociology, pop culture, intro to macro-economics, and 2 speech classes. Seriously folks, what exactly is the point of mandating these classes other than to make money for the universities?

Members don't see this ad.

if you still have the chance, i would recommend for you to take/finish general ed at a community college/junior college over breaks (summer, winter).

-OR-

take the classes as pass/fail.

focus getting high passing grades for more important classes (like the pre-reqs: bio, chem, physics, etc.)

General Ed classes are supposed to make you a better rounded person. Maybe you already are, so it is boring to you. My experience is that most students are young and it helps guide them through possible majors and see what else is out there in life. I would argue that both English and Speech are essential for anyone that wants to become a physician.

Members don't see this ad :)
if you still have the chance, i would recommend for you to take/finish general ed at a community college/junior college over breaks (summer, winter).

-OR-

focus getting high passing grades for more important classes (like the pre-reqs: bio, chem, physics, etc.)

Oh I'm definitely doing the CC thing. Much cheaper, MUCH easier to work around my schedule (24 hours on, 48 hours off, even less conducive to school than it sounds). In fact, the bulk of my bachelors will be from this CC, then I'm transferring to a business school to complete a bachelors in Public Safety/Health Management. At that point I'm going back to CC to take a few more lower level science courses, then moving on to 1 of 2 colleges within driving distance that offer the science pre-reqs for medical school and also happen to have their own medical school). Planned out? Who's planned out? lol

General Ed classes are supposed to make you a better rounded person. Maybe you already are, so it is boring to you. My experience is that most students are young and it helps guide them through possible majors and see what else is out there in life. I would argue that both English and Speech are essential for anyone that wants to become a physician.

I don't know that I'm a better rounded person, but I think I'm a no BS person. I'll agree that English and Speech are probably important, but lets be honest, unless you're a history major or really interested in pop culture, these classes are absolutely worthless for pretty much anything. I had one person explain to me that it was just to "see if I can do what I'm told". I guess that's about the best answer I'm going to get, not that I agree with it <shrug>

I'm the kind of person that decides to do something, then jump all up in every angle I can until it's accomplished. I guess that, plus the fact that I'm 30 and still working on my undergraduate just make it frustrating for me..

I don't know that I'm a better rounded person, but I think I'm a no BS person. I'll agree that English and Speech are probably important, but lets be honest, unless you're a history major or really interested in pop culture, these classes are absolutely worthless for pretty much anything. I had one person explain to me that it was just to "see if I can do what I'm told". I guess that's about the best answer I'm going to get, not that I agree with it <shrug>

I'm the kind of person that decides to do something, then jump all up in every angle I can until it's accomplished. I guess that, plus the fact that I'm 30 and still working on my undergraduate just make it frustrating for me..
But you must admit that the way it is set up does help a lot of students that are undecided or even those that believe are decided to maybe find something that suits them better.

At least at my school the GE was rather simple. They did require a few history classes and political science, but those are not so bad considering that we are citizens of this country and still hold voting power. It's better to have a more educated populace. The only requirement I saw as truly silly was the art requirement, but then non-science majors are required 2 science classes; so I can't complain.

It won't help with your current classes, but try this for any future classes. I have found it to be an invaluable resource. I have avoided some really nasty instructors and gotten some very good ones. Hasn't let me down yet.

RateMyProfessors

The post about why you have to take Gen Eds are correct it is to: 1, make you a more well rounded person, classes that open your mind to new ideas or information are always good. 2, They help you find areas of interest, even if you think they aren't interesting on paper, they may actually be interesting in class. 3, You need to be able to show that you have tenacity, you can see something through, even if you don't like it. There is a reason that in the US only 25-30% of the population has bachelors degrees; many people won't finish because they don't want to take the gen eds, for the reason the OP posted, they're uninteresting or boring...

You could also take CLEP tests for a lot of Gen Ed requirements. I think I have 18 credits from CLEP tests, and no med schools have cared. There are study guides you can use - study for a week, take the test and get the credit.

There is one for sociology, so you would save yourself a lot of time with that.

Seriously these classes are so dull and pointless. Currently I'm taking Western Civilization (basically 2500 BC to ~1300 AD) and it's another one of those "here's your textbook (a particularly HORRIBLE one at that) and here's your quiz and test dates, bye". To make matters worse, the professor is an absolute jackass, and any email response he eventually gets around to replying to is laden with arrogant sarcasm, even better, his answers are intentionally vague. I'd probably punch him in the face if I ever met him..

Of my gen ed classes, I still have intro to sociology, pop culture, intro to macro-economics, and 2 speech classes. Seriously folks, what exactly is the point of mandating these classes other than to make money for the universities?

Sorry to hear that - it sounds as if the professors in your school are not doing your gen eds justice.

I did my degree in chemistry and biology, but I have also taken western civilization in addition to a plethra of political science, theology, philosophy, government, and history courses and I can't tell you how fascinating the lectures were by the professors that I had.

Honestly when it come to my science courses I didn't really get much out of lectures, most of what I learned came via the textbook and powerpoints - to the point that I didn't even consistently attend classes in the sciences since the lectures were practically pointless for me. But when it came to the humanities it was a completely different story, those lectures were more like stories and they completely got me thinking in a way that I never had with my science courses. Don't get me wrong I love science and would choose it as my field of study 7 days a week and twice on Sundays, but I wouldn't knock the humanities because they are also interesting and worthwhile for a well rounded education.

If you take the classes pass/fail, doesn't AMCAS calculate a pass = C?

IBsearchnoob
IBletmegooglethatforyou

Speech was so fun. One girl wrote a speech on why she thought Tupac was still alive. :confused:

If you take the classes pass/fail, doesn't AMCAS calculate a pass = C?

IBsearchnoob
IBletmegooglethatforyou

Speech was so fun. One girl wrote a speech on why she thought Tupac was still alive. :confused:
Why would AMCAS calculate a C? They don't know your grade. They don't know if the class could only be taken pass/no pass. It doesn't get calculated is the answer.

Why would AMCAS calculate a C? They don't know your grade. They don't know if the class could only be taken pass/no pass. It doesn't get calculated is the answer.

:shrug:

I have an old AMCAS GPA calculator that I ripped from the site awhile back, entered every class I took (including the pass/fail courses), and was basing my total gpa off of that. It automatically calculated the pass courses = C.

Thanks for the clarification.

Members don't see this ad :)
I actually think I will take comparative religion,.. it's for health students so the focus is sickness and death.

Not my thing,... but probably is useful when dealing with patients later on, I suppose.

But there are too many gen ed requirements at some universities.

http://www.ratemyprofessors.com

I will be using this from here on out. Incidentally, my history professor that I find so deplorable is on there, and has 100% terrible ratings for the past several years..

Definitely use that site. The gen-ed stuff sucks, but we all have to make it through. It will be over before you know it.

You need to be able to show that you have tenacity, you can see something through, even if you don't like it.

Right on! Even if you have all A's in the science pre-reqs, a B- or C will be noticed by adcoms (in the non-blind interviews at least). I can remember the morose literature classes and giving speeches on dry, pointless instructor-chosen topics. Try to find something that will get your interest. Even if it's trying to get a better grade in literature than one of the literature majors in your class. Make it a game. It will make the clock speed up a bit, and before you know it, those classes are just memories. Good luck!

My history final is today.. I'm drinking coffee and procrastinating heading out as I type this.

I could have probably put forth more effort in studying, but I only need a C on the exam to get a solid B in the class. My college doesn't do + or - grades, and without doing the math I think I could actually pull a D on the exam and still get a B in the class. Sure I could kick ass and get a 90, but I honestly just don't care to look at that textbook ever again.

Lol

Oh well, only 2.5 more quarters to go of gen-ed stuff, then about 3 quarters of management classes (my bachelors will be in Public Safety Management, it was the cheapest route to a bachelors once my state certifications were plugged in). After that, I get to start my self made post-bacc, which I eagerly await..

Bahahaa, I did get a D on the exam. His questions were just absurd and vague. One question was

______ (name, can't remember who) would have been well received

a, b, c, or d.. each option was a particular city in western Civilization.

Oh well, even with my D, I ended up with an A on my last paper and an 85 overall in the class.. I'm over it, next quarter plz..

One word for you: CLEP
Look up your school's policy and exploit every last credit you can. I tested out of most of my gen eds. (seriously) It's embarrassingly easy to do btw. www.collegeboard.com for official stuff, but I'm happy to share the real "how to do it." Intro Sociology and Macroeconomics can both be tested out of (for under $200) and appear on your transcript as pass not a grade. :) See, Christmas came early.

I will take a peek at that site today, sounds interesting. But with that said the my GPA dropped to 3.686 last quarter with that B and I'd like to take at least 1 quarter to bring it back to over 3.7. With already having nearly 30 credits as being "N" (signed off due to state certifications I hold) and not counting towards my GPA, I need to toss a few more junk A's on there to take at least a bit of pressure off...

What is somewhat annoying is that most of the Gen Ed classes are focused in "non-science" majors. So someone who is in a major like psychology, for example, will be able to continue taking classes relating to psychology, since those usually fulfill some of the Gen-Ed requirements, and get credited towards their major and Gen Ed requirements and not have to spend extra money. Basically, shouldn't those majors be required to take sciences courses to make them "better rounded people".

Uh, yes. In California at least you must take 2 physical science/biological science courses with one being lab and 3 social science courses. In number of units, they are the same. And just so you know, taking "Art History" won't help much with a Sociology major or taking Economics for a Psychology major, so everyone gets equally screwed.
Ugh, economics. That class was worse than OChem! :(

I agree, the gen eds are set up so regardless of major, you are guaranteed to hate at least some of the classes you take ;)

You have a lame attitude Mike.

i agree maybe that it's your frustration with being older and not wanting to experiment around anymore and just GIT R DONE. i disliked some of my requirements but i got to take some great classes too! AP got me out of all my history requirements which prob would have been the worst. i got to take art (FINALLY.. never got to do that in HS :)), german lit, weightlifting (wtf? hahah we had to take 5 PE classes), set building, stage makeup... not stuff i would have allowed myself to take if it wasn't required i think...

:shrug:

I have an old AMCAS GPA calculator that I ripped from the site awhile back, entered every class I took (including the pass/fail courses), and was basing my total gpa off of that. It automatically calculated the pass courses = C.

Thanks for the clarification.

This is worrying. Is this true????

Hey Mike,

Just think of it as prep for the verbal section on the MCAT. There are loads of other threads on SDN about improving verbal scores by fulfilling the reading requirements of humanities type courses.

So when you're answering cryptic questions written by some obtuse jerk, just think to yourself, "This is awesome MCAT test prep."

Good Luck!

I don't know many people who were fascinated by anymore than half of the bacc-core required/elective courses. We didn't do them because we loved them, but it's basically an extension of high school, continuing to expose you to a breadth of knowledge and testing you as a student. It punished my GPA too, purely out of my lack of interest. It's very regretable now that I didn't take them seriously or give 100%, as I didn't expect to ever go to med school at that time, but with a 3.15 undergrad GPA, I wish I had. Luckily my science GPA is quite a bit better, and I did get a master's, which seemed half as difficult and 1000x's more interesting, with a much much stronger GPA (all science). So, just try and maintain focus and get through it. It's not fun, but neither are a lot of the necessary things in life.