GEN ED Requirements

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lynne8832

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I’m finishing up my freshman year of undergrad and I am registering for my Sophomore year classes. On many vet school websites, I have noticed that 3-6 hours in English/Composition is required. I have taken an introductory level english class that satisfies 3 of those hours but I am wondering how to get the other 3 hours. So general education literature requirements like American Lit or World Lit satisfy that requirement?
Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone! I’m finishing up my freshman year of undergrad and I am registering for my Sophomore year classes. On many vet school websites, I have noticed that 3-6 hours in English/Composition is required. I have taken an introductory level english class that satisfies 3 of those hours but I am wondering how to get the other 3 hours. So general education literature requirements like American Lit or World Lit satisfy that requirement?
Thank you in advance!
Your best bet is to contact the schools you’re most interested in applying to. They are the only ones who can tell you with certainty what they will or will not accept to fulfill that prerequisite.

Reactions: 2 users
There are some that specifically want English Composition vs. general English (could be something like creative writing or a literature course). Your safest bet is a full year (2 semesters) of English Composition, but it may not be necessary for the schools you’re applying to. Agreed with above, contact the schools directly to see if you need different course requirements.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If your school offers a scientific and technical writing course, or something similar to that name, then that would likely be one. Contact a school who requires 6 credits and see what they’re looking for, and ask if certain courses would be sufficient. For me, I did expository writing because I was one of the few people who decided not to AP out of it. Then I took scientific and technical writing.

If your school offers a scientific and technical writing course, or something similar to that name, then that would likely be one. Contact a school who requires 6 credits and see what they’re looking for, and ask if certain courses would be sufficient. For me, I did expository writing because I was one of the few people who decided not to AP out of it. Then I took scientific and technical writing.
Not every school will accept a technical writing course. I was able to use mine for some schools but had to use my second semester of English composition for others.

Not every school will accept a technical writing course. I was able to use mine for some schools but had to use my second semester of English composition for others.
Oh that’s weird. I didn’t run into that problem with any of the schools I applied to, and I applied to 11 of them. I guess I got lucky.

Oh that’s weird. I didn’t run into that problem with any of the schools I applied to, and I applied to 11 of them. I guess I got lucky.
At least 1 or 2 of mine specifically said English composition. Things may have changed slightly since then and expanded to include other classes, but that’s why it’s best to contact the individual schools and see what they’re looking for.