Gender identity

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

g.enx

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you think that being trans counts as being underrepresented in medicine? Do you think it's something that is worth mentioning on a med school application? Being trans has been a motivating factor for me in wanting to go to med school - I hope to eventually open an LGBTQ+ community health clinic.

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly, I think this may be a school-specific thing. I feel like some people refer to people in the LGBTQIA+ community as underrepresented in medicine, but I'm not on an adcom.

But I can more concretely talk about my experience applying. On my app I identified as genderqueer and transfeminine and had a lot of ECs that were related to serving the LGBT community, especially the trans* community. This was a consistent theme throughout my entire application, and I feel like it is going over well ( 5 II, 1W (at a school that waitlists most applicants post-interview), 1 A, 1 Post-interview R). It's also been a topic I've brought up in most of my interviews, including the school I have an acceptance.

Basically, I think it can be worth mentioning if the rest of your application aligns with it. Feel free to PM me if you want to talk about it more.

I wish you all the luck in the world on your application cycle! We need more trans doctors!

Reactions: 1 users
I think it's not in the technical urm category, but some schools will look at it in a positive light. It was all over my application. If it's an important part of your why medicine and you're comfortable, might as well bring it up!

Reactions: 1 user
Hey - thanks to both of you for your replies and support. And QPOC1231, Im glad to hear about your acceptance - that's awesome! The whole application process is very intimidating. And I know that sometimes medicine can be a conservative field. I wasn't sure if identified myself as trans would hurt my application. However, it is definitely a motivating factor for me. I'm really interesting in LGBTQ+ and trans healthcare, specifically. I definitely agree that we need more trans doctors!

Honestly, I think this may be a school-specific thing. I feel like some people refer to people in the LGBTQIA+ community as underrepresented in medicine, but I'm not on an adcom.

But I can more concretely talk about my experience applying. On my app I identified as genderqueer and transfeminine and had a lot of ECs that were related to serving the LGBT community, especially the trans* community. This was a consistent theme throughout my entire application, and I feel like it is going over well ( 5 II, 1W (at a school that waitlists most applicants post-interview), 1 A, 1 Post-interview R). It's also been a topic I've brought up in most of my interviews, including the school I have an acceptance.

Basically, I think it can be worth mentioning if the rest of your application aligns with it. Feel free to PM me if you want to talk about it more.

I wish you all the luck in the world on your application cycle! We need more trans doctors!