Gender identity

Started by g.enx
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

g.enx

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do you think that being trans counts as being underrepresented in medicine? Do you think it's something that is worth mentioning on a med school application? Being trans has been a motivating factor for me in wanting to go to med school - I hope to eventually open an LGBTQ+ community health clinic.
 
Honestly, I think this may be a school-specific thing. I feel like some people refer to people in the LGBTQIA+ community as underrepresented in medicine, but I'm not on an adcom.

But I can more concretely talk about my experience applying. On my app I identified as genderqueer and transfeminine and had a lot of ECs that were related to serving the LGBT community, especially the trans* community. This was a consistent theme throughout my entire application, and I feel like it is going over well ( 5 II, 1W (at a school that waitlists most applicants post-interview), 1 A, 1 Post-interview R). It's also been a topic I've brought up in most of my interviews, including the school I have an acceptance.

Basically, I think it can be worth mentioning if the rest of your application aligns with it. Feel free to PM me if you want to talk about it more.

I wish you all the luck in the world on your application cycle! We need more trans doctors!
 
I think it's not in the technical urm category, but some schools will look at it in a positive light. It was all over my application. If it's an important part of your why medicine and you're comfortable, might as well bring it up!
 
Hey - thanks to both of you for your replies and support. And QPOC1231, Im glad to hear about your acceptance - that's awesome! The whole application process is very intimidating. And I know that sometimes medicine can be a conservative field. I wasn't sure if identified myself as trans would hurt my application. However, it is definitely a motivating factor for me. I'm really interesting in LGBTQ+ and trans healthcare, specifically. I definitely agree that we need more trans doctors!

Honestly, I think this may be a school-specific thing. I feel like some people refer to people in the LGBTQIA+ community as underrepresented in medicine, but I'm not on an adcom.

But I can more concretely talk about my experience applying. On my app I identified as genderqueer and transfeminine and had a lot of ECs that were related to serving the LGBT community, especially the trans* community. This was a consistent theme throughout my entire application, and I feel like it is going over well ( 5 II, 1W (at a school that waitlists most applicants post-interview), 1 A, 1 Post-interview R). It's also been a topic I've brought up in most of my interviews, including the school I have an acceptance.

Basically, I think it can be worth mentioning if the rest of your application aligns with it. Feel free to PM me if you want to talk about it more.

I wish you all the luck in the world on your application cycle! We need more trans doctors!