Gender Reassignment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

solumanculver

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,
I recently found out that a male friend of mine was actually born a woman... He's tried to explain the complexities of Gender Dysphoria to me, but I'm not sure I fully understand what he's saying biologically. He basically claims that its a problem with hormone receptors in his brain, they can't process female hormones, or something... He also claims the various psychiatric problems that he has (depression w/self-mutilation) disappear when he has his hormone replacement therapy, but reappear when, for whatever reason, he isn't able to have the therapy. What's the psychiatric consensus on this Disorder? Is gender reassignment surgery considered a treatment, or is it considered cosmetic? Is there any treatment that changes the patients belief that they are of a different gender, rather than changing their body to conform to that belief?

In general I support these people's decision to undergo their surgery if they want, I'm not suggesting that they should do some other treatment to change their beliefs; I'm just wondering if that treatment exists.

Members don't see this ad.

It is still controversial but from the psychology standpoint, generally psychotherapy is not effective in helping resolve gender dysphoria (Cohen-Kettis, Dillen et al., 2000). The only treatment shown to be effective is sexual reassignment surgery. About 87% of men and 97% of women are satisfied with the outcomes of surgery (Gooren, 1999). I got to assist with an assessment and I can tell you the people that do obtain the surgery are very carefully chosen.

solumanculver said:
Hey,
Is gender reassignment surgery considered a treatment, or is it considered cosmetic? Is there any treatment that changes the patients belief that they are of a different gender, rather than changing their body to conform to that belief?

About 87% of men and 97% of women are satisfied with the outcomes of surgery (Gooren, 1999).

I don't mean to confuse the issue here, but do those statistics refer to the post-operative, or the pre-operative genders?

Butting in here, but my guess is post-operative. It's a lot easier to change male genitalia to female vs. the opposite.