General application questions and such

Started by rurayhan
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

rurayhan

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Dear Fellow SDNers,


So I am kinda new here, but not new to the medical application process but still have lots of questions. So heres my story:
I graduated from my respective school with a neurobio degree and got a 2.72, I know its not med school worthy but I have been battling something called crohns disease for the past 5 years and havent been able to get relief until this past year with surgery and a medicine called remicade ( this stuff has saved my life). It was an embaressing disease, where I would have to sit next to the door so I could run to the bathroom, I struggled with bloody stools, multiple surgeries, and medications out the you know what (literally). I know theres no room for sob stories and I know I have an uphill battle. Therefore I am back as a post bac taking classes to boost the GPA. But I am still unsure on how I will get into medical school. My pre med advisory stinks, so I hope people here can help me out.

Here the current lowdown:
I have taken the MCAT and got a 36. 12 PS 12 V 12 B Q on writing
I have done extensive volunteer work overseas and here in the states
I am taking post bac classes trying to boost my GPA. I am taking classes for the next 2 semesters, so around 6 classes total this year or 7 depending if I take one in the winter...
So here are my questions:
1) Should I start applying on AMCAS now, and will they allow me to enter my post bac grades later as the year progesses?
2) Should I just wait to apply next june to medical schools for fall 2011?
3) Should I take classes now this semester and apply for fall 2010 SMP programs like Georgetown? I feel that I can pull my grades up substansially this year, can skip SMP programs,and apply with a strong upward trend and my MCAT scores without spending some ridiculous amount of chedder cheese ( yes I said chedder cheese) on SMP type programs.


I feel that now that I have my health and a comptetive mcat score, If I show that this whole year I can pull A's in all these upper level sciences, that I wll be able to get into some medical school if I can get my gpa in the 2.9-3 range.

I am not sure, so any help would be appreciated.

thanks again!
 
Dear Fellow SDNers,


So I am kinda new here, but not new to the medical application process but still have lots of questions. So heres my story:
I graduated from my respective school with a neurobio degree and got a 2.72, I know its not med school worthy but I have been battling something called crohns disease for the past 5 years and havent been able to get relief until this past year with surgery and a medicine called remicade ( this stuff has saved my life). It was an embaressing disease, where I would have to sit next to the door so I could run to the bathroom, I struggled with bloody stools, multiple surgeries, and medications out the you know what (literally). I know theres no room for sob stories and I know I have an uphill battle. Therefore I am back as a post bac taking classes to boost the GPA. But I am still unsure on how I will get into medical school. My pre med advisory stinks, so I hope people here can help me out.

Here the current lowdown:
I have taken the MCAT and got a 36. 12 PS 12 V 12 B Q on writing
I have done extensive volunteer work overseas and here in the states
I am taking post bac classes trying to boost my GPA. I am taking classes for the next 2 semesters, so around 6 classes total this year or 7 depending if I take one in the winter...
So here are my questions:
1) Should I start applying on AMCAS now, and will they allow me to enter my post bac grades later as the year progesses?
2) Should I just wait to apply next june to medical schools for fall 2011?
3) Should I take classes now this semester and apply for fall 2010 SMP programs like Georgetown? I feel that I can pull my grades up substansially this year, can skip SMP programs,and apply with a strong upward trend and my MCAT scores without spending some ridiculous amount of chedder cheese ( yes I said chedder cheese) on SMP type programs.


I feel that now that I have my health and a comptetive mcat score, If I show that this whole year I can pull A's in all these upper level sciences, that I wll be able to get into some medical school if I can get my gpa in the 2.9-3 range.

I am not sure, so any help would be appreciated.

thanks again!
....this is what I will do. no SMP, instead take more classes to bring up your gpa. You should apply nxt June,2010. apply to many sch as you can and apply broadly (MD/DO).

I am impressed by what you've overcome thus far. Use this to your advantage in your essay.

Again, I'll not waste $$ for a SMP.