General Chemistry DAT Destroyer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

meeginvee

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am enrolled in the Kaplan course, but I am wondering if DAT Destroyer is a recommended source for General Chemistry or if Kaplan course materials are sufficient?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Why did you make three separate threads? Just ask them all in the same one. PAT/RC - BC is closest but still a *tad* bit harder for both of these. You might want to buy Chad's videos if possible and Destroyer is awesome.

Kaplan will give you practice materials, Destroyer will actually teach you. Use Destroyer, Schaum's outlinesto learn the material, then if you feel like you need more practice, you can take some Kaplan tests.

Use Chads for Gchem and Ochem. He'll teach you everything for that section. Then use Destroyer to complement off of Chads videos and Chads quizzes. Use Kaplan tests to test yourself off of that. I know its going to be hard with studying from multiple resources especially since Kaplan has all these assessments and workshops that you plan to do. Those Kaplan assessments are there to help you understand the material too, but I don't know how much they'll help you. I actually took Kaplan last year when I was studying for the DAT but I don't know if they changed anything though because their QR section didn't prep me well. Their bio is really good, but again I don't know if they added anything from last year to make it better.

Members don't see this ad :)
Weakfart, biomolecmed, and mkhan27:

For Organic: should I buy the Organic chem Odyssey by Jim Romano/Orgoman or just buy the "DAT Destroyer" book? Is it necessary to do his DAT bootcamp course which covers Bio or just buy the book? I am wondering because otherwise I will be studying content and reactions from 3 sources (Chad, Kaplan, Odyssey) where there is a lot of overlap. Who do you think has the most thorough coverage of reactions and other concepts?

Thanks.

No on the Odyssey, buy the Destroyer and Math destroyer if you can. Odyssey is for like an actual orgo class.

Weakfart, biomolecmed, and mkhan27:

For Organic: should I buy the Organic chem Odyssey by Jim Romano/Orgoman or just buy the "DAT Destroyer" book? Is it necessary to do his DAT bootcamp course which covers Bio or just buy the book? I am wondering because otherwise I will be studying content and reactions from 3 sources (Chad, Kaplan, Odyssey) where there is a lot of overlap. Who do you think has the most thorough coverage of reactions and other concepts?

Thanks.
Depends on your Organic chem background. If you start with the Destroyer and feel like you are weak on many concepts, then consider investing in Odyssey. Odyssey will walk you through every topic in Organic chem that you need. It will teach you well. It has some tough problems, but it will prepare you for anything that you may see on the DAT. Hope this answered your question.

When I started to do Destroyer, I didn't understand anything, because my Chemistry was so bad...I had a very bad professor in College. So I needed to learn Orgo Chem from the start. I used Organic Chemistry as a second language and Organic chemistry Odyssey. I was able to do well in the class and it really prepared me well for the DAT as well. I hope this helps.

Reactions: 1 user
Use Chads for Gchem and Ochem. He'll teach you everything for that section. Then use Destroyer to complement off of Chads videos and Chads quizzes. Use Kaplan tests to test yourself off of that. I know its going to be hard with studying from multiple resources especially since Kaplan has all these assessments and workshops that you plan to do. Those Kaplan assessments are there to help you understand the material too, but I don't know how much they'll help you. I actually took Kaplan last year when I was studying for the DAT but I don't know if they changed anything though because their QR section didn't prep me well. Their bio is really good, but again I don't know if they added anything from last year to make it better.

Hi mkhan27,

You said you took the Kaplan course, so I have a question about it. If you could help me out, I would really appreciate it.

I am wondering if Kaplan course Bio is sufficient to do well on the Bio section for someone who doesn't have any extra knowledge from their classes.

If you could let me know as soon as you can that would be awesome. Thanks a bunch!

Megan

Last edited:
Hi mkhan27,

You said you took the Kaplan course, so I have a question about it. If you could help me out, I would really appreciate it.

I am wondering if Kaplan course Bio is sufficient to do well on the Bio section for someone who doesn't have any extra knowledge from their classes.

If you could let me know as soon as you can that would be awesome. Thanks a bunch!

Megan

@meeginvee I took the Kaplan course last year, but I don't know if they may have changed much for Biology. I got a 20 in Biology last time I took it using Kaplan. Kaplan bio is good no doubt, but there are certain things they missed and don't cover. I think there were probably 5 questions in the bio section that I really did not know and they were no where to be found in Kaplan. Had I known about those 5 questions, I would definitely have gotten a 30.

Kaplan covers a lot of the physio in the biology section and you might also see that in Feralis and some in Cliffs, which is why it may be good. However, Kaplan Biology's lack of nitty-gritty details is where the damage can be done to your score and that's why I wish I used other stuff last time. If you are using other stuff like Cliffs, Feralis, bootcamp, destroyer, and other stuff then I am positive that you'll get 20+ hands down! Just keep reviewing your notes for all the sections and take it easy the day before the test.

Edit: I do have kind of have a strong bio background, so I can't speak 100% on how you'll do, but if you feel that you know your stuff in and out, then I'm positive you'll do great. Just keep reviewing your stuff!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
@meeginvee I took the Kaplan course last year, but I don't know if they may have changed much for Biology. I got a 20 in Biology last time I took it using Kaplan. Kaplan bio is good no doubt, but there are certain things they missed and don't cover. I think there were probably 5 questions in the bio section that I really did not know and they were no where to be found in Kaplan. Had I known about those 5 questions, I would definitely have gotten a 30.

Kaplan covers a lot of the physio in the biology section and you might also see that in Feralis and some in Cliffs, which is why it may be good. However, Kaplan Biology's lack of nitty-gritty details is where the damage can be done to your score and that's why I wish I used other stuff last time. If you are using other stuff like Cliffs, Feralis, bootcamp, destroyer, and other stuff then I am positive that you'll get 20+ hands down! Just keep reviewing your notes for all the sections and take it easy the day before the test.

Edit: I do have kind of have a strong bio background, so I can't speak 100% on how you'll do, but if you feel that you know your stuff in and out, then I'm positive you'll do great. Just keep reviewing your stuff!

Hi mkhan,

Thanks a bunch! This helped a lot. So you think I should just spend the extra time and study Feralis and Cliffs as well? I am slow and it takes me 1 topic a day for the Kaplan stuff so I'm going to end up spending a long time on Bio, but if you say it's worth it then I probably should.

Also, if you're in Chicago, would you like to study together?

Destroyer is an absolute necessity. However if you're weak in chem and or go learn the basics from Kaplan then get or go as a second language then tackle the destroyer. Good luck

Use a combination of Destroyer and Cliffs for gen chem. It works very well. Destroyer is tough, but it will prepare you well. Try Cliffs gen chem before Destroyer.