General Chemistry Question (College Freshman)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Amillion

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
In my general chemistry class, my professor seems to be only concerned with formulas and solving problems. Should I concentrate on other areas.

So far, we've covered
Units of Measure
Significant Figures
Dimensional Analysis
Temperature
Density
Fundamental Chemical Laws
Periodic Table
Atoms, Molecules, and Ions (Atomic Structure)
Stiochiometry
Precipiation
Oxidation-Reduction/Redox
Electrolytes
Acid/Bases
Titration
Displacement
Synthesis/Decomposition
Combustion

But it's more or less to solve for? Shouldn't I be concerned with more for the test?

Members don't see this ad.

I can't really answer your question with regards to the MCAT, although you could probably find an old review book in your school's library to help answer that question....but I can reassure you a little I think. From the way you've described your class you are learning the exact same things I am in the same way. I think G. Chem is supposed to center on the ways of doing all the basic chemistry (ie. solving problems, balancing equations, etc). O Chem and Biochem are what will go into more detail as far as the why of things (and while Biochem isn't absolutely necessary to take before the MCAT it is recommended). I'm not saying don't pay any attention to the bits of theory behind the G Chem stuff, but I wouldn't worry too much about what your prof seems to be covering, because I think it's pretty standard G Chem fare.

--Jessica, UCCS

just do well in your G chem class, but be aware that all the little details that you will be studying for the test probably wont be included on the mcat, which is a test of reasoning and basic science knowledge, and applying that bs. just kick ass in that class and get a study book for the mcat later in your later years.

Originally posted by Amillion
But it's more or less to solve for? Shouldn't I be concerned with more for the test?

Yes and no. By learning how to solve the problems you will pick-up alot of the why....as long as you question yourself while working the problems. Some of the questions on the MCAT will test your analytical problem solving skills and require use of specific equations. In contrast, some questions while require a general knowledge of the underlying theories. Of course, some will require a combination of the two. So pay attention to both while taking the course, take good notes, make index cards up and store them in a drawer to use when MCAT study time comes around and you will do fine.

DALA