General chemistry requirements for opt school?

Started by soonTM
This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

soonTM

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm entering as a freshman at UC San Diego and received a 5 on the AP chemistry test that exempts me from 3 quarters of intro/general chem (6ABC). I really do not want to have to take those classes since I do not get credit for taking exempted classes. As a chemistry major, I would have to take the upper division inorganic chem (2 quarters) and biochemistry (1 quarter) classes, which I have heard would fill the general chemistry requirements for med schools. I was wondering if opt schools would take inoranic+biochem classes in place of general chem.
 
You'll probably get more of a response on the "pre-optometry" forums. But since I'm here, I'm going to go ahead and say that it'll probably be a long shot that you can have inorganic/biochem classes "take the place" of gen chem. You can apply and use the AP credits in gen chem, but you've got other chemistry classes you would need to take anyway. You'd have to check with individual schools and make sure that the AP credit would apply. In the school that I am attending, you have separate requirements for classes such as Ochem and Biochemistry that you'd need to use in that category. If that makes sense.

And just my two cents, AP classes/exams are great ways to knock off expensive college classes EXCEPT if they are core components of your major. I have yet to meet anyone who felt like their AP class fully prepped them to the full level of taking it as a college class. You will be learning the foundations of your entire major though gen chem, and having holes in knowledge because your AP teacher "skimmed it because its not heavily on the exam" or "you'll learn more about it in college" might seriously screw you over. So just make sure you are sure what you want to do, and be careful with which AP credits you want to apply.
 
In addition to Eyecandy's reply, keep in mind you will need a good foundation in chem for the OAT..........
Also, consider taking the chem pre-reqs at a community college in the area (Miracosta, maybe) if UCSD will not let you register for those.