General Chemistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

1FutureDDS

Dani California
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay guys, I know it has been answered before but I need some help with general chem.

I tore up general chem 1 & 2 undergrad, and had absolutely 0 problem understanding the stuff. Now I have been going over Kaplans old tests forever and this stuff just seems a little difficult, I mean seriously. All of the General Chem 2 stuff, you actually have to remember all of these equations for crap?

Please tell me of your experiences with G chem on the real DAT, and how difficult it was.

Members don't see this ad.

It's easier and you have to do a lot less calculations. I would reccomend doing a search of the forum. There is a lot of info about this top in pre-existing threads and you get instant answers.

FutureDDS, I've got a question - are you using all of Kaplan's resources? I mean, the ones that you get for paying $1000 for all of their materials in the Kaplan center and online?

If you're taking the Kaplan course, I was pretty much in your same situation - the General Chemistry questions gave me a hard kick in the arse. Some of those questions combine 2-4 difficult concepts from Gen Chem. I was a little worried about it so I studied it like crazy and made sure I could do Kaplan's problems. When I went into the test, I was seriously amazed - it felt like a cakewalk. Maybe this is a unique experience, but the actual DAT questions are without a doubt easier than Kaplan's. That being said, I'd still suggest preparing as if they would be like Kaplan's test. I was pretty happy I'd studied it hard, because not only did it give me a sense of relief during that section of the DAT, but the Gen Chem score turned out to be my highest in the sciences.

Typo said:
FutureDDS, I've got a question - are you using all of Kaplan's resources? I mean, the ones that you get for paying $1000 for all of their materials in the Kaplan center and online?

If you're taking the Kaplan course, I was pretty much in your same situation - the General Chemistry questions gave me a hard kick in the arse. Some of those questions combine 2-4 difficult concepts from Gen Chem. I was a little worried about it so I studied it like crazy and made sure I could do Kaplan's problems. When I went into the test, I was seriously amazed - it felt like a cakewalk. Maybe this is a unique experience, but the actual DAT questions are without a doubt easier than Kaplan's. That being said, I'd still suggest preparing as if they would be like Kaplan's test. I was pretty happy I'd studied it hard, because not only did it give me a sense of relief during that section of the DAT, but the Gen Chem score turned out to be my highest in the sciences.

I agree with Typo. I was in the same exact situation as you. I recommend you work on all the kaplan subject tests (twice) and most importantly learn from your mistakes. Personally, I found the GC section in the big Kaplan book somewhat confusing, so I went out and bought Examkrakers GC and 1001 Chem questions. I went through both books once and I found it very useful in gaining a firm understand of the concepts (which I thought I would never remember). The actual DAT is pretty easy though

Members don't see this ad :)
I am starting dental school in August and a lot of this stuff is still fresh in my head. I did spend the obscene amount of money on Kaplan and I think it was definitely worth it. There was material in the Kaplan G-Chem practice tests that was not stressed at all in my general chemistry classes. I basically had to teach it to myself because I didn't learn it the first time around. This material was on the DAT. Furthermore, I went over and over and over and over those subject tests. I learned everything very well backwards and forwards and what was on Kaplan was exactly what was on the DAT and it was very very helpful. That's not neccessarily true about the subjects, but for G-Chem, just learn everything on Kaplan like it was your reason for living and you will ace that part of the DAT.

hey! thanks guys i feel a lot more comfortable now, even though I have been studying for about 5 hours a day, and like 8 hours sat and sunday - I am not only determined to destroy the DAT but I am going over each kaplan test in-depth to make sure I get overkill.