General Chemistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ethanol2025

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I completed 1 semester at a private liberal arts school last fall, and I ended up taking this semester off because of some personal things and have decided to transfer to another school.
My first semester I got like a 3.1 GPA
Bio: A, FYS: A-, Gen Chem: C, Calc: B+, Music study: B

Now, this summer I am taking classes at a well known 4 year state school: Sociology, deviant behavior, general chemistry 2, and clinical psychology.

Will medschools look down on me taking general chemistry 2 during the summer? It is in person. I need to take it in order to be on track to take organic chemistry this year. Will the C in gen chem 1 screw me over too?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello! I completed 1 semester at a private liberal arts school last fall, and I ended up taking this semester off because of some personal things and have decided to transfer to another school.

Now, this summer I am taking classes at a well known 4 year state school: Sociology, deviant behavior, general chemistry 2, and clinical psychology.

Will medschools look down on me taking general chemistry 2 during the summer? It is in person. I need to take it in order to be on track to take organic chemistry this year. Will the C in gen chem 1 screw me over too?

Thanks.
I think this is one of those things where if you're a great student it doesn't matter, but if you aren't then it does. Like if you get a 4.0 and your one summer class is gen chem 2, I doubt any adcom is gonna doubt your ability. But if you have a 3.5 and take a few summer classes (or even just one) they're gonna look at it more closely.

Well I am taking a few summer classes to get caught up on credits (since I'm taking this semester off). Gen chem 2 is the only pre-req, unless schools have intro to sociology as a pre-req.

Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks.
No one class is going to screw you over, and summer classes are not going to be a problem since you are taking them to get yourself back on track after taking a semester off. You are at the very beginning of a very long process. Based on the tiny amount of data points to date, it is impossible to predict your ultimate success, but rest assured nothing you are asking about will prevent you from being a successful applicant in the future.

Just be aware that summer semesters often move much quicker than regular semesters and taking that many classes over the summer may be more challenging than you're giving credit. Additionally, gen chem II is likely to be a more difficult course than gen chem I, which you didn't do well in despite more time in the fall. While your current grades won't prevent you from getting in to medical school by any means, they do need improvement in the future and biting off more than you can chew and struggling this summer would not be good for you.

Reactions: 1 user