General Chemistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ronmillsey

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How similar is General Chemistry to grade 12 chemistry?

I am kind of nervous to take it, and I was wondering if it will be any similar to what was taught in the senior year level chemistry course in High school.

Thanks.
 
How similar is General Chemistry to grade 12 chemistry?

I am kind of nervous to take it, and I was wondering if it will be any similar to what was taught in the senior year level chemistry course in High school.

Thanks.

If you took AP chem, it's essentially the same course. The testing might be a tad more rigorous, and it will definitely be more competitive, but the material is essentially the same.
 
are you an incoming frosh?

if you were using a college level book then the information should be similar. colleges typically go over more information, though.

the main difference between the high school course and the college course *should* be the speed at which you cover the material should be much faster in college, yet you are expected to know the information with greater detail and understanding. also, there is less hand-holding so the responsibility of doing what is necessary to learn the information lies (more) squarely on your shoulders

in general id say college level chemistry requires more time and effort, but that depends on rigor of the prof.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The biggest factor, for me, was the fact that well over 50% of my class had taken AP chem the year before (estimated by hand-raising in the first class). That made a relatively straight-forward class into a gladiatorial event. General bio was even worse. By comparison O-chem actually felt less competitive and there was much more room for error.
 
How similar is General Chemistry to grade 12 chemistry?

I am kind of nervous to take it, and I was wondering if it will be any similar to what was taught in the senior year level chemistry course in High school.

Thanks.

If you took AP, you should be sitting pretty. It's just a heck of a lot faster paced with more advanced application in and out of lab.

If you didn't take AP, make sure you study your butt off and read ahead. (Actually, you should do this regardless...but I think you catch my drift.)

Good luck!! Stay ahead and you'll do fine. 👍
 
The biggest factor, for me, was the fact that well over 50% of my class had taken AP chem the year before (estimated by hand-raising in the first class). That made a relatively straight-forward class into a gladiatorial event. General bio was even worse. By comparison O-chem actually felt less competitive and there was much more room for error.

Yeah, I was a junior in college when I took my first science classes in 5 years. I was in a room full of premed wannabes who had taken AP Bio, AP Chemistry, AP Physics, the works. Half of them were falling asleep throughout the bio lecture because so much of the material was repetitive.

At first I was really worried about how I would perform against people who were so much better prepared for the class than me. It was such a good feeling when I smashed the curve on those classes! I suppose a lot of that had to do with having better study skills as a junior than the freshmen in the class, but it felt good nonetheless.