General Genetics Online

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

PrepharmKID

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I got an email from an old professor saying they opened a few seats for an online general genetics course. I checked and it would show up as a regular course, not online. I know all the crap about how some schools dont like online classes, blah blah blah. But I know it will work for my biology degree. Would this course be ok to take online? Opinions please.
 
I just finished a Genetics and Molecular Biology course. It's definitely the toughest biology course I've encountered so far. I actually found it more difficult than organic, but the course was team taught and neither professor was very effective. If you're good at learning from a book, then I'd say go for it. However, be advised that the course contains pretty difficult material. Best of luck!
 
I would agree Genetics was one of the harder classes I took and I wouldn't have wanted to do it online. Though it was one of my fave classes too!

I think there are very few pharm schools that want Genetics as a pre-req, so you should be fine. If you know what schools you are thinking about applying to, check if it is a pre-req and if they require you to take it in a classroom.
 
Thanks. I think I'll stop by my old professors office next week. He seemed to think it was something I would be able to do well. It's not one of the courses required for the schools I applied, I just wanted to take it towards my biology degree assuming I am not accepted fall 2009. I know he said it would show up as a normal class, not show up as an online course. Guess I'll speak with him and see if I can take a look at some of the coursework. Thanks!