General inquiries about residency.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

draussie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm an international medical student currently studying in South Australia and I have some questions about my future career path in residency and further on...

1. Once I get my PR upon completing my internship in SA, how difficult is it to get into the general surgery specialty program? And approximately how many years would I have to work as a medical officer before I become a registrar in general surgery? Will that be relatively longer than other RMO/SHO shooting for other specialties (eg. internal medicine or GP)? I also want to know the overall competitiveness in any other surgical specialties of Australia, espeically neurosurgery which I'm interested in. But I'd be also happy if I could just get into general surgery.:p

2. If surgical fields are too competitive, what about neurology? From my understanding, neurology is under the branch of internal medicine, which I assume is not as competitive as other fields like surgery or dermatology. Would neurology be much less competitive than neurosurgery?

3. In order to get into specialties like surgery, is it beneficial to get some research experiences during my med school? Other than that, what else should I do to increase my chance in residency as well as surgical specialty training programs later down the road?

4. Also, how difficult is it for SA permanent resident to get into residency programs in other states? I wanna try working in Sydney or Melbourne during my RMO and SHO years. Does the same rule apply as internship allocation system where interstate people are downlisted?

I'd really really appreciate your help on these.

Thank you very much!:)

Members don't see this ad.