general match question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UHS05

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I had a question about the match email that they (NRMP) send out on Black Monday (March 14)...I am applying for a PGY2 spot in a very competitive field and have also ranked 2 transitional (PGY1) programs at the bottom of my list to ensure at least a decent transitional year should I not match into my specialty of choice.

I know the email on Black Monday doesen't tell you where you've matched, but does it at least tell you what you've matched into...ie a PGY1 or PGY2 spot (or my categorical specialty program vs. transitional program)?

Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I think it just says matched or unmatched. I am in a similar situation applying to general surgery and plastic surgery. I guess we just have to wait longer.
:(

4 possibilities on Black Monday

1)"Congratulations, you have matched."---this means you matched both for prelim and for advanced residency program.

2)"Congratulations, you have matched into a one year position."---this means you matched for your prelim only and not advanced residency program

3)"Congratulations, you have matched into an advanced position."---this means you matched for an advanced residency program but not for your prelim

4)Notification that you did not match for advanced residency program or prelim.

It is my understanding that if you receive email #2 or #3 as mentioned above (you matched an advanced but not internship position, or you matched an internship but no advanced position) then you can call your school's dean's office and find out which state (and I think which city even) that you matched in--but not the exact program--to allow you to at least try to scramble into a nearby internship or advanced position (whichever one you didn't match into). That is what I understand to be the situation. Correct me if I'm wrong anyone.

Lefty

Thanks shellfish and lefty...I guess I feel a little better about listing my transitionals at the bottom...the 3 day wait to find out if I had matched into a PGY2 or PGY1 spot would have killed me :)

Lefty said:
It is my understanding that if you receive email #2 or #3 as mentioned above (you matched an advanced but not internship position, or you matched an internship but no advanced position) then you can call your school's dean's office and find out which state (and I think which city even) that you matched in--but not the exact program--to allow you to at least try to scramble into a nearby internship or advanced position (whichever one you didn't match into). That is what I understand to be the situation. Correct me if I'm wrong anyone.

Lefty

thank you guys, I had the same question which you answered. I stopped by the deans office yesterday but the dean himself was out, his secretary said something similar but the paranoid med student that I am, i wanted to make sure.

shellfish said:

1)"Congratulations, you have matched."---this means you matched both for prelim and for advanced residency program.

2)"Congratulations, you have matched into a one year position."---this means you matched for your prelim only and not advanced residency program

3)"Congratulations, you have matched into an advanced position."---this means you matched for an advanced residency program but not for your prelim

HI--just wanted to see if anyone knows if we get an email on Black Monday or if we check the NRMP website? Same for Thursday?
Thanks...

Endochild said:
HI--just wanted to see if anyone knows if we get an email on Black Monday or if we check the NRMP website? Same for Thursday?
Thanks...

bump.

what if you applied for emergency medicine, which has some 2-4 programs and some 1-3/4 programs? Spme of the programs I ranked needed transitional years first,and were listed as supplemental programs under the advanced positions. Does it tell you whether you got an advanced position + prelim or just a 1-3/4 program?
Just curious.

yankeeh8r said:
Is that really the case? That we can ask our dean what state we matched into?

That's a GOOD question (since, supposedly, they already know where we are going).

Endochild said:
Thanks...

This is from the email we received on March 10th from NRMP Staff.

All applicants will receive their Did I Match? information on the web and by
email at noon on Monday, March 14th, letting them know whether, but not where,
they matched
. Beginning at 1:00 p.m. on Match Day, Thursday, March 17th,
matched applicants will be able to access their Where Did I Match? information
on the web, letting them know to which program(s) they matched. Applicants
will be able to access their certified rank order lists throughout Match Week.

shellfish said:
This is from the email we received on March 10th from NRMP Staff.

All applicants will receive their Did I Match? information on the web and by
email at noon on Monday, March 14th, letting them know whether, but not where,
they matched
. Beginning at 1:00 p.m. on Match Day, Thursday, March 17th,
matched applicants will be able to access their Where Did I Match? information
on the web, letting them know to which program(s) they matched. Applicants
will be able to access their certified rank order lists throughout Match Week.

Thanks...I received that email too...I'm just a bit neurotic right now! :scared:

GeneGoddess said:
That's a GOOD question (since, supposedly, they already know where we are going).

do they really know where we are going already? Does anyone know if the fact that they can tell you what state we matched into, does this apply to osteopathic schools as well?!!

bump - I'm assuming the NRMP would allow you to access the list of unfilled advanced programs if you matched only pgy-1 - even if that pgy-1 was ranked on your main list?

shellfish said:

First off- thanks for the info- greatly appreciated, because I had the same issue/anxiety. Being the paranoid guy I am, I tried to verify this on the NRMP website, and then by Googling, with no luck. Where'd you guys get this info? I'm no doubting you, just curious. Thanks again!