I am a third year Peds resident and I have been interviewing for jobs. The offers I have received range from $130,000 starting for 100% outpatient pediatrics in a large, metropolitan city to $175,000 for peds hospitalist in a smaller city to $255,000 starting (with many in the practice earning more than this) in a traditional peds (1:5 call including newborns, deliveries, and inpatient) in a rural Midwest area. I have to say that the rural Midwest areas I have interviewed in are strikingly beautiful---lakes and forests where people come to vacation.
Reimbursement rates for hospital are higher than those for outpatient, therefore 100% outpatient jobs do pay less than hospitalist or traditional. It has been my experience that traditional pays the most. They do round on newborns and do deliveries but the volume is not too bad. There are very few inpatient hospitalizations as well.
Also I have noticed that salaries increase for smaller cities and even more so for rural areas. The large cities pay the least and have the highest cost of living.
Regarding peds specialties, I believe that many of them pay approximately the same as gen peds, except NICU, PICU, Peds GI, and Peds Cards pay more because of many procedures.