General prereqs expire?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

taylorthegr8

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I am a nontrad, finally back to school after another career. Looking at schools requirement pages, I see the standard science prereqs (1 yr bio w/lab, 1 yr chem w/lab, 1 yr phys w/lab, ochem, biochem, sometimes stats, microbio, genetics, etc.) Then, I also see general education requirements like 1 intensive writing course or 1 social science course, etc.

I am doing a two-year self styled post-bacc to hit all the science prereqs that I never completed before. My original degree is from 2008 in social sciences. All my science prereqs are very recent, but schools say "prereqs need to be completed within the past 10 years." Does this mean I need to retake a writing course or social science course for the schools that require that?

Thanks in advance for your input!

Members don't see this ad.

For the most part, no. I had this same question for many schools and the ones I asked were fine as long as you had recent coursework. I asked pretty much every "OOS-friendly" school that indicated pre-reqs expire, aside from maybe the T10. Of course for any schools you are particularly keen on attending and want to make sure you follow their requirements, you can always check via MSAR and/or reach out to their admissions depts.

Good luck!

For the most part, no. I had this same question for many schools and the ones I asked were fine as long as you had recent coursework. I asked pretty much every "OOS-friendly" school that indicated pre-reqs expire, aside from maybe the T10. Of course for any schools you are particularly keen on attending and want to make sure you follow their requirements, you can always check via MSAR and/or reach out to their admissions depts.

Good luck!

Thanks! I will check MSAR and with individual schools. I have one year left so could probably throw in an extra writing or social science class or two if need be, just wasn't planning on that.