General question about applying for pharmacy intern license

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

olive897

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So many of job qualifications require that I am registered with the state board pharmacy, but how can I be registered when I don't have a preceptor to sign the application to send in to the state board? Am I allowed to apply without having the license so I can eventually get a preceptor to sign it?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hmmm I don't remember the exact details because this was in 2010 but it was required we had the intern license by the time we started pharmacy school and I just mailed in the form, it did not need to be signed by a preceptor or anything and they just sent me it in the mail. I would just apply anyway to the job and then get it in the meantime. Is it just a character witness type signature?

So many of job qualifications require that I am registered with the state board pharmacy, but how can I be registered when I don't have a preceptor to sign the application to send in to the state board? Am I allowed to apply without having the license so I can eventually get a preceptor to sign it?

Normally your school handles the procedure for this.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am applying for internship outside the academic program, so I think I am on my own for this. I am applying for these jobs that require licensure, but I haven't been providing a license number because I don't have one. I was just wondering if not providing a license is hurting me in my chances of getting the jobs I am applying for since I am not meeting the qualification for the job.

I know what you mean. In my experience, many pharmacies, if they do not want you, will ask you to be registered with the board of pharmacy. But that is just a ******ed excuse since the registration application is asking you for the information of the pharmacy where you will be working.

So there are two solutions: 1. Go asking around and find a pharmacy that wants to hire you and they will sign the paper for you, 2. Volunteer / shadowing in a pharmacy and they will help you to register with the BOP.

GL :)