General question from a non-trad pre-med

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

AppalachiaGrrl

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How difficult is it to get an anesthesiology residency, relatively speaking? If region matters and anyone knows, I'd be aiming for western PA. I'm interested in the field but I have two kids and I doubt I'll chooce being top of my class in med school over spending time with them. Oh, and is it as rigorous a residency as surgery? Maybe someone could just refer me to a website or book?

Thanks very much...
 
Ooops. Just found the FAQ. Sorry! But if anyone has kids and has any personal experiences to add, please do...

Sorry again...
 
AppalachiaGrrl said:
How difficult is it to get an anesthesiology residency, relatively speaking? If region matters and anyone knows, I'd be aiming for western PA. I'm interested in the field but I have two kids and I doubt I'll chooce being top of my class in med school over spending time with them. Oh, and is it as rigorous a residency as surgery? Maybe someone could just refer me to a website or book?

Thanks very much...

I'm a single mother. My son was two when I entered medical school. Don't sell yourself short thinking that you "won't be at the top" of your class. You just have to be creative with how you get things done. I am applying to anesthesia residencies, and so far, it's going good. If I can do it with no help raising a child and getting through medical school, then I am sure that you can do it too.

Also, I don't think anesthesia is as rigorous as surgery at all. Call is fewer and the residents seem much more happer. 🙂