General questions...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

boston23

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone-
I'm just starting to look into applying to dental school and I was wondering if people could give me some answers to general questions I have.

How many schools do most people apply to? Obviously, there's a range, but do most people apply to about 20 schools or is it more on the order of 5-10?

Also, in terms of researching schools to apply to: have people found that buying the "Official Guide to Dental Schools" or some other similar book is helpful in figuring out which schools to apply to or is researching online good enough? (I want to find out if a book like that will help before I spend $35 on it).

And then with the DAT: I've bought the Kaplan book and I think that it will be pretty good in terms of reviewing general stuff (and I am planning to use some text books for that too). What do people recommend for the best online practice material? I want to get enough practice off of the computer.

Thanks for any help; feel free to give me links to some threads since I'm sure some of these questions are answered elsewhere. :D

Members don't see this ad.

Hey! My opinion is to apply to as many schools as you can afford. 10-15 schools would be a good amount to be on the safe side. Apply early too! Check out predents.com. It's a very very useful website to research the school's stats. As far as study materials for the DAT....Kaplan is great in terms of the Bio, GenChem, OrganicChem and Math sections. However, DAT achiever was the best for the PAT section. Kaplan's practice for the PAT didn't really cut it for me. Achiever has REALLY difficult PAT practice to gear you up for the real DAT. Good luck to you, buddy! :D

Check out DAT Destroyer and Top Score Pro. There are many threads on destroyer so you can check out the reviews yourself. Seems like the general consensus of DAT prep material is (and isn't limited to): Kaplan Blue Book, DAT Destroyer, Top Score, and Achiever, +/ still like Schaum's, Campbell, etc. good luck!