general questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hplfe

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Whats the best ways to supplement an application outside of academics? I spent a whole summer volunteering at a dental clinic already. I would like to do something other than volunteer there for a change. I know this question is kinda broad but I dont know a better way to say it lol sorry!

Members don't see this ad.

research, get a dental related job, pick up a new hobby that involves manual dexterity, study DAT lol

I think this is kind of up to you to be honest.
There are a lot of things you can do such as go on service trips abroad, engage in research, if you have any unique abilities or hobbies mention it, work experience, etc
Overall, I think you should try to do something unique for yourself.
I know a lot of people do the standard things like service trips abroad and volunteering at hospitals, which is fine.
Although, I didn't do either of those two and my experiences were mostly my unique work experiences, and pursuing hobbies that I genuinely liked. I feel that adcoms liked this about me and in my interviews several interviewers told me that my application/ extracurriculars seemed "real". By that,meaning that I wasn't doing a lot of the standard ones that many predents do solely for the purpose of making their application look good.
It also stimulated good conversation and helped the interviews go smooth.
Let me know if I can be of further help!

Good Luck!

Whats the best ways to supplement an application outside of academics? I spent a whole summer volunteering at a dental clinic already. I would like to do something other than volunteer there for a change. I know this question is kinda broad but I dont know a better way to say it lol sorry!

I def know what you mean. I asked the same question a few years ago. Check out my predents to see my ECs. I think they helped my app a lot, but there is no way they can substitute GPA and DAT scores.