General SMP question...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stephenvpr

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What does SMP stand for?
What is it? and how can it help you bring up your GPA?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

sdn.jpg

ha, terrific
i wonder though, how does this person know about the existence and purpose of smp's unless they already did some searching and actually have read the answers to these questions

Members don't see this ad :)
FACT: You cannot get into medical school until you learn to read.

Go practice on this forum...

Wow people are so nice here!
**** off...

It's not about "nice" but you can't expect internet strangers to bend backwards for you especially if you're asking them for a favor when you haven't demonstrated you have even done any minimal work whatsoever.

It exactly looks like what Drizzt just posted to most members in that you didn't bother to look around or google or anything besides click "new topic" and write those two lines above. Since everyone here has either gone through a post-bacc route or is trying (generally speaking) many things have had to be done by ourselves and not relying on others and to see someone like you who doesn't even put out even a minimal amount of effort yourself but immediately ask for help is kind of insulting.

I understand what you're saying... but it IS about "nice"

they could have said "just look at the sticky topic"
but instead they were douche bags about it.

I was just looking for some information... yes it was there, yes I should have looked before posting a new topic but it was unnecessary to act that way. I wasn't asking anyone to bend backwards, I was just asking a simple question.

You're saying a "nice" person should stretch out a hand to help anyone, even someone who you deem as undeserving of such help. Furthermore, you take this one indication and immediately extrapolate from it that the other people who posted in your thread are "mean" (understatement yes I know).

If that is what you define as "nice" then I could make the same assumption about you as being "incompetent".

I would be extrapolating from the fact that you somehow did not read any of the stickied threads or the several threads with SMP on them at the top of your screen but instead chose to immediately ask for help with the new thread option about an inch or two away from said threads. I can probably infer from this that your observational skills are sub par or you can't put two and two together and come up with the above incompetent conclusion. Maybe both.

I'm not saying you are, just trying to make a point that you shouldn't draw such conclusions especially with the high post count of the people who have posted in here. Yes believe it or not, these "douchebags" are some of the most active advice givers in this section of the forum.

Last thing, as for the "bend backwards" you technically are asking them to do so. This is an internet forum. You asked them for help and they have 2 options, post or not post. To post advice and help in your situation is the one that takes effort out of the 2 and it would purely be on your behalf and not theirs so they would be going out of their way to help you no? If that isn't bending backwards by taking the time to post for an online forum, then what is?

You're saying a "nice" person should stretch out a hand to help anyone, even someone who you deem as undeserving of such help. Furthermore, you take this one indication and immediately extrapolate from it that the other people who posted in your thread are "mean" (understatement yes I know).

If that is what you define as "nice" then I could make the same assumption about you as being "incompetent".

I would be extrapolating from the fact that you somehow did not read any of the stickied threads or the several threads with SMP on them at the top of your screen but instead chose to immediately ask for help with the new thread option about an inch or two away from said threads. I can probably infer from this that your observational skills are sub par or you can't put two and two together and come up with the above incompetent conclusion. Maybe both.

I'm not saying you are, just trying to make a point that you shouldn't draw such conclusions especially with the high post count of the people who have posted in here. Yes believe it or not, these "douchebags" are some of the most active advice givers in this section of the forum.

Last thing, as for the "bend backwards" you technically are asking them to do so. This is an internet forum. You asked them for help and they have 2 options, post or not post. To post advice and help in your situation is the one that takes effort out of the 2 and it would purely be on your behalf and not theirs so they would be going out of their way to help you no? If that isn't bending backwards by taking the time to post for an online forum, then what is?

I understand what you are saying I really do. I was just a little taken aback by the responses.
I should have expected some of the responses, but that first one just rubbed me the wrong the way I guess...

As for bending backwards the one person took the time to photoshop a picture, host it and post it back here, he went out of his way to do that. I would consider giving advice to someone a bit more productive.
All I was asking for was information people already knew and could offer to me. I wasn't intending anyone do research for me and then post what they found back here. Just a short, concise response was all I wanted. A whole hell of a lot less effort then #2 put into his neat picture...

Granted I should have looked first, I was a little frustrated and wasn't thinking clearly when the original post was made but again I was a little surprised by the responses.

Wasn't trying to offend anyone in any way. I am not the type who usually would post something without doing a little research first but nonetheless it happened...

Last edited:
I do understand which is why I chose the second option "not to post" when I did see your thread the first time. But you should really try to refrain from any more of these, I just saw this and after a brief scan I can tell that didn't go to well either.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=715707

My recommendation is to be incognito for a while and start lurking around/reading (if you haven't been scared off sufficiently) and learn what kind of posts are conducive to constructive advice and to be able to sift through one's post and see what is objective and what is opinionated, constructive vs. purely negative etc. You need a thick skin on these boards to ask for help and frankly, this section (post bacc) is the "nicest" that you will find on SDN imho.

There's at least a couple of these type of posts a day, I don't normally reply to them, but I thought since it was an impressive lack of searching I'd dignify it with a picture.

Most people are at least able to ask questions about SMPs in the stickied thread at the top of the forum...

In any case, I see from the OPs other posts why they asked that questions and if you let stuff like this bother you, you're going to have a tough time coming back from a difficult situation. The world of GPA repair isn't a friendly one.

I understand what you are saying I really do. I was just a little taken aback by the responses.
I should have expected some of the responses, but that first one just rubbed me the wrong the way I guess...

As for bending backwards the one person took the time to photoshop a picture, host it and post it back here, he went out of his way to do that. I would consider giving advice to someone a bit more productive.
All I was asking for was information people already knew and could offer to me. I wasn't intending anyone do research for me and then post what they found back here. Just a short, concise response was all I wanted. A whole hell of a lot less effort then #2 put into his neat picture...

Granted I should have looked first, I was a little frustrated and wasn't thinking clearly when the original post was made but again I was a little surprised by the responses.

Wasn't trying to offend anyone in any way. I am not the type who usually would post something without doing a little research first but nonetheless it happened...

Thanks, I had kinda just come face to face with the reality it's going to take a lot of very hard work to do what I want to do. Both of those posts came within an hour or so of each other. I really truly am not like that but it happened. I am used to forums where I have been a member for 3+ years so I guess I forgot the basic rules... just needed to learn my lesson I suppose, now I get it.