Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

General studies Major

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical Allopathic [ MD ]' started by #FutureDoctor14, 05.18.14.

1. SDN is made possible through sponsorships and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. #FutureDoctor14

#FutureDoctor14

Pre-Medical
    Hello everyone! I will like to know if majoring in General Studies with a concentration is a good idea to apply to medical school with. I have a lot of credits that really does not apply to a degree and since general studies is like an open degree where I can get all my prereqs in, and also upper science courses, I thought it will be a good idea (but I might be wrong) I'm really confused at this point. Thanks guys

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. TheWeeIceMan

TheWeeIceMan And like that... *poof*... he's gone. 7+ Year Member

What does a general studies major do if they don't get into med school?

Personally, I wouldn't recommend a general studies major, but I suppose it won't really hurt you if you make it to medical school. Not sure how adcoms would look at something like general studies, but I'd imagine some would be a little skeptical of it's academic rigor

4. Boolean

Boolean

I personally do not know if medical schools would accept such a degree. I cannot find any confirmation of such, but likewise I cannot find anything indicating they wouldn't. I personally recommend it, but YMMV.

5. Frostbite22

Frostbite22 Iraq Lobster

Non-Student
    This major and the interdisciplinary science major is really only designed to get into other programs (med, pharm, vet, radiology assistant) if you fail to get accepted though I have NO idea what you would do.

6. #FutureDoctor14

#FutureDoctor14

Pre-Medical
    Thanks guys for your replies appreciate it.

7. Donald Juan

Donald Juan 5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Of course they'll accept it. Is there any major they don't accept?

8. Goro

Goro 5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Verified
    Faculty
    No one will care what your major or your minor is. Just do well in it.

#FutureDoctor14 likes this.
  9. Boolean

Boolean

I state this as I haven't heard of a general studies degree past the AA level being used in graduate coursework.

10. familyaerospace

familyaerospace 5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I know people with a BA in Interdisciplinary Studies/General Studies (Emory offers a bachelors level) and I *think* that was the degree a friend of mine obtained at the Masters level. She's doing some high tech social media consulting thing now.

11. jm192

jm192 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Sure.

I've listened to multiple adcoms say they could care less what you major in, if you double or triple major, etc.

As far as "what are you going to do if you don't get in?" that's valid. Even if you want to do post-bac work--you'd be better off starting from a bachelor's in Bio or Chem than a general studies degree.

About the ads