General studies Major

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

#FutureDoctor14

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I will like to know if majoring in General Studies with a concentration is a good idea to apply to medical school with. I have a lot of credits that really does not apply to a degree and since general studies is like an open degree where I can get all my prereqs in, and also upper science courses, I thought it will be a good idea (but I might be wrong) I'm really confused at this point. Thanks guys

Members don't see this ad.

What does a general studies major do if they don't get into med school?

Personally, I wouldn't recommend a general studies major, but I suppose it won't really hurt you if you make it to medical school. Not sure how adcoms would look at something like general studies, but I'd imagine some would be a little skeptical of it's academic rigor

I personally do not know if medical schools would accept such a degree. I cannot find any confirmation of such, but likewise I cannot find anything indicating they wouldn't. I personally recommend it, but YMMV.

Members don't see this ad :)
This major and the interdisciplinary science major is really only designed to get into other programs (med, pharm, vet, radiology assistant) if you fail to get accepted though I have NO idea what you would do.

I personally do not know if medical schools would accept such a degree. I cannot find any confirmation of such, but likewise I cannot find anything indicating they wouldn't. I personally recommend it, but YMMV.
Of course they'll accept it. Is there any major they don't accept?

No one will care what your major or your minor is. Just do well in it.

Hello everyone! I will like to know if majoring in General Studies with a concentration is a good idea to apply to medical school with. I have a lot of credits that really does not apply to a degree and since general studies is like an open degree where I can get all my prereqs in, and also upper science courses, I thought it will be a good idea (but I might be wrong) I'm really confused at this point. Thanks guys

Reactions: 1 user
Of course they'll accept it. Is there any major they don't accept?
I state this as I haven't heard of a general studies degree past the AA level being used in graduate coursework.

I state this as I haven't heard of a general studies degree past the AA level being used in graduate coursework.

I know people with a BA in Interdisciplinary Studies/General Studies (Emory offers a bachelors level) and I *think* that was the degree a friend of mine obtained at the Masters level. She's doing some high tech social media consulting thing now.

Sure.

I've listened to multiple adcoms say they could care less what you major in, if you double or triple major, etc.

As far as "what are you going to do if you don't get in?" that's valid. Even if you want to do post-bac work--you'd be better off starting from a bachelor's in Bio or Chem than a general studies degree.