General surgery after transitional year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gen3ricDO

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Im a DO student that applied DO ortho this year and didnt match. I was able to grab a transitional year spot in the soap. They don’t have a gen surg program.

I am finishing 4th year on a vascular surgery rotation and have known this attending for 3 years so will get a very solid letter out of it.

My TY will allow up to 5 months for surgical rotations and I can use one of those months for an out rotation.

Have 243 usmle step 1. Didn’t take step 2 but will be taking it in June.

Possible to match gen surg next year?

Edit:
I’m also allowed 20 days paid time off so I’ll be able to attend interviews and I don’t mind applying to literally every program.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
AWESOME, gonna go full force toward this. Thanks!

What are people’s opinion on what letters of recommendation to use?

I will have vascular surgery letter from this year. General surgery from attending at the TY. Trying for either CT surg or plastics from the TY. Finally going to try for a letter on my out rotation.

Do I absolutely need a letter from the PD of my program? I can’t see it being helpful, but I’m curious what people who view applicants would want to see.

Yes, your PD needs to give you a letter. Programs need to see that you are in good standing, no administrative red flags, etc.

Reactions: 1 user
What are people’s opinion on what letters of recommendation to use?

I will have vascular surgery letter from this year. General surgery from attending at the TY. Trying for either CT surg or plastics from the TY. Finally going to try for a letter on my out rotation.

Do I absolutely need a letter from the PD of my program? I can’t see it being helpful, but I’m curious what people who view applicants would want to see.
Trying for either integrated CT or integrated plastics out of the TY?

No offense, but you need to be realistic. Getting into an integrated CT or integrated plastics spot is already an uphill battle in best of circumstances. Your focus should be on getting a categorical general surgery spot. And yes, you absolutely need a letter from your current program director.

Trying for either integrated CT or integrated plastics out of the TY?

No offense, but you need to be realistic. Getting into an integrated CT or integrated plastics spot is already an uphill battle in best of circumstances. Your focus should be on getting a categorical general surgery spot. And yes, you absolutely need a letter from your current program director.

Nope, I’m not trying for CT or Plastics. The TY is set up where I can do multiple surgery rotations, but like a med student, I rotate through different services. I was able to pick my rotations and therefore I chose Surgical Subspecialties so I could have more to talk about in interviews and be better in the OR before my away rotation. I was also hoping to get a letter from either the plastics or the CT docs as I assumed it would look better than my ortho letters.

I will definitely be getting a letter from the PD now.

Just to update I got a 253 on step 2 CK

Final update. Matched ortho on my second shot. I had 15 interviews between vascular and general surgery and 4 ortho interviews this year. I think there was 1 vascular surgery program I had a great chance at based on PIC and I think I would’ve gotten into 2 different general surgery programs based on connections and PIC....but who knows. Glad I don’t have to see.

• Love
Reactions: 10 users