Feb 12, 2019
Status
Medical Student
Hello all,

Im a DO student that applied DO ortho this year and didnt match. I was able to grab a transitional year spot in the soap. They don’t have a gen surg program.

I am finishing 4th year on a vascular surgery rotation and have known this attending for 3 years so will get a very solid letter out of it.

My TY will allow up to 5 months for surgical rotations and I can use one of those months for an out rotation.

Have 243 usmle step 1. Didn’t take step 2 but will be taking it in June.

Possible to match gen surg next year?

Edit:
I’m also allowed 20 days paid time off so I’ll be able to attend interviews and I don’t mind applying to literally every program.

Last edited:

TraumaLlamaMD

Licensed to chill
2+ Year Member
Sep 18, 2014
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Yes, sounds possible. Programs will want to know that you’re committed to general surgery.

Reactions: Gen3ricDO
Feb 12, 2019
Status
Medical Student
What are people’s opinion on what letters of recommendation to use?

I will have vascular surgery letter from this year. General surgery from attending at the TY. Trying for either CT surg or plastics from the TY. Finally going to try for a letter on my out rotation.

Do I absolutely need a letter from the PD of my program? I can’t see it being helpful, but I’m curious what people who view applicants would want to see.

TraumaLlamaMD

Licensed to chill
2+ Year Member
Sep 18, 2014
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Yes, your PD needs to give you a letter. Programs need to see that you are in good standing, no administrative red flags, etc.

Reactions: Gen3ricDO