general surgery and USMLE Step 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beefy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
looking to match in 2010

is 218/90 competitive for general surgery (categorical)?

will work really hard to crack 240 in step 2, slacked a bit in my step 1 studyin

any advice appreciated, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

According to the "Charting outcomes in the match" report on the NRMP website, the average Step 1 score for non-US applicants who matched into GS was 222, and the 25th percentile was 207. So, you're still in the running.

Categorical=tough, prelim=highly possible.
If you crack the 240, you are certainly in the running for a good cat spot.

Even if you do wind up with a prelim, if you work your tail off there is a good chance that they will offer you a cat.

Hmmm...I had a good friend, IMG, who matched prelim into surgery. She worked her tail off but could never find/get a categorical surgery spot. She did end up getting an anesthesia spot later, but it took about 1.5 more years. Still, if you are dead set on surgery then taking a prelim spot would be an option...at most you waste a year or two, but in the long term scheme of things that is probably not too big a deal. I would advise that you rank all your categorical programs where you interview above ALL prelim spots, unless the categorical program seems like a complete rathole, because some of the prelim places like to promise the applicants ("Pretty much all our prelims continue to get a categorical spot, either here or somewhere else...") but if there's no contract, that doesn't mean crap. In other words, take the sure thing over any crapola someone feeds you at an interview.