General surgery away rotations? Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lacroixyum

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, all!

I am a current MS3 applying to general surgery in the fall. I had not been planning to do any aways, but after speaking with several MS4s who matched last week who said that they wished they had done aways and that >70% of the people they encountered at interviews had done at least 1 away, I am having second thoughts. To provide some context, I am planning to couples match (SO applying anesthesia), attend a top 40 med school, got a 259 on step 1, have honored all clerkships so far (still have two left, so no word on AOA yet), have some research experience but no publications at this time, and ultimately hope to go into pediatric surgery. Knowing I eventually want a very competitive fellowship, I feel like I need to target primarily upper-tier academic institutions for residency.

So far I have gotten very mixed messages on the usefulness of away rotations and would love any insight anyone might have about whether I should do one and, if so, what type of program I should target. I have heard that they can hurt you, so targeting a reach program might be the best approach, but at this point, I honestly don't even know how to identify which programs are reaches and which ones I would be competitive for (especially considering my lack of publications).

So, all that said, should I try to do an away? Multiple aways? Anyone had a good and/or bad experience at any particular program? Thanks so much in advance!!

Members don't see this ad.

You know yourself better than anyone else. Your scores are good enough that you will interview widely and broadly. If you think you're a fairly surly character with elements of snarkiness that may be lost on many people, an away may hurt you. But only you know the answer to that question. I don't think you have to do an away if you think you'll interview well regardless. Unless you and your SO have your hearts set on a certain program or part of the country. That could greatly help you. Cheers.