General Surgery Match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hope4Surg

Reaction score
Hey everyone, hope you are keeping safe during this pandemic.

I want to be a surgeon and would love to end up doing acute care/ trauma down the road.

A little about me- I am a Canadian IMG from a Well Known Caribbean Medical School. I scored a 230 on step 1 and 255 on step 2. I have 3 publications and a poster presentation. I have LORs from my chair, and 3 other attendings including a PD. I did all my 3rd year rotations in the states and am about to do 4 surgery sub-Is at different locations. I honored 3/5 of the shelf exams but only got a high pass on surgery.

In terms of a categorical match, what are my chances looking like?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey there.

Difficult application year. I would say that it is not impossible, but you are far more likely to get a categorical spot outright at a community program than at an academic affiliated program. Your board scores are okay but as an IMG and a carribean grad, your chances are more difficult. I think you need to be a stellar sub-I and those opportunities may lead to something more fruitful. However, there are plenty of prelim positions available, and If you are a stellar intern, you might find yourself in a categorical spot next year. It's a difficult position and I have seen many great prelim residents come and go in my training. In either scenario, you have to make sure you kill it though, and make sure that people see you killen' it. Stay the course. An underrated part is networking. A few phone calls could help you get an opportunity you may not have otherwise found. Wish you the best of luck.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey there.

Difficult application year. I would say that it is not impossible, but you are far more likely to get a categorical spot outright at a community program than at an academic affiliated program. Your board scores are okay but as an IMG and a carribean grad, your chances are more difficult. I think you need to be a stellar sub-I and those opportunities may lead to something more fruitful. However, there are plenty of prelim positions available, and If you are a stellar intern, you might find yourself in a categorical spot next year. It's a difficult position and I have seen many great prelim residents come and go in my training. In either scenario, you have to make sure you kill it though, and make sure that people see you killen' it. Stay the course. An underrated part is networking. A few phone calls could help you get an opportunity you may not have otherwise found. Wish you the best of luck.
Thank you for the words of wisdom. I try and be the hardest worker in the room. So I'm hoping it works out for me.