Quantcast

General Surgery Residency Match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Owen Hunt

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
Hey ya'll

IMG MS2 here, just wondering with the results of the new match is general surgery residency becoming less competitive? To those that are currently in residency or are familiar with requirements, what would be the required scores to match into a decent program? Also in regards to fellowships, what are some possible specialities that IMG's would be able to match into? Thanks again and hope everyones being safe.

:)

(P.S. I'm also in the process of finishing up my online MPH if that helps for anything?)

Dr. Owen Hunt

Reaction score

FindersFee5

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
It was 242 for FMGs, higher than Ortho! Crazy

That's because there are so few matched ortho IMGs, and those that do match have crazy connections (son of a chair type stuff) or insane research, generally.

Reactions: 3 users
A

AnatomyGrey12

GS is getting more competitive, not less.

Jesus christ, the new median step 1 for gen surg is 237? That was in 2018 too. Probably up to 240 by now.

Yeah and 236 for USMDs and 238 for DOs. Unmatched is a 219 and 228 respectively.

Reactions: 1 user

Dr. Owen Hunt

Reaction score
In terms of research, do you get many opportunities within your rotations or would you have to go out your way to explore other research opportunities?

themoonman2

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
In terms of research, do you get many opportunities within your rotations or would you have to go out your way to explore other research opportunities?

Some people are able to find research opportunities during their clinical rotations, but for many of the rotations, particularly gen surg, it can be very tough to start something new. You're just so bogged down with studying for the shelf and preparing for your cases the next day during your few hours free each day that it would be a bad time to start something for most people. I would think of it this way: if you're applying gen surg, you should do everything you can to honor your surgery rotation. Compromising that to do research in a field that doesn't require huge research numbers could greatly affect your future.

I would suggest using your time on gen surg to make connections that can spark projects when you have more free time, but also reach out to faculty early during rotations that you're not as busy so you can start projects and work on them during easier rotations.

Reactions: 1 user